how do i get my 1 1/2 year old to use the potty

jeslyn225

Asked by jeslyn225 at 7:24 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• WOW, if she uses the potty at that age i will be jealous!! Well, my son started using the potty on and off at that age. He is about to be 4 and is just now completely potty trained. Have you tried a potty chart of some sort? Maybe explain to her if she uses the potty she will get a sticker and if she fills up the chart...wether it be 5 or 10 times, she will get a toy or something. IDK, just a suggestion. I let mine do it on his own time I guess. I do wish he would have been potty trained sooner though. Good luck!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 7:27 PM on May. 31, 2009

• You don't. You wait until they are physically and mentally ready to potty train. With my oldest I forced potty training early at 22 months. He still peed his pants until he was four. It became a power struggle, that he was going to win. With my second, I didn't push at all and now he has potty trained himself at two and nine months.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:29 PM on May. 31, 2009

• you can't force them to do it, they will do it in their own time. I know it sucks to have to change them all the time but it just takes time. Try to introduce them to the potty or potty chair, which ever your using. just set them up on it and tell them to pee pee. And take them in the bathroom when you go and show them what your doing so they get the picture. My son is 2 and he still isnt potty trained. he seemed intrested in it but them just lost his intrest. They will do it in thei own timw all you can do it introduce it to them but not force it.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 7:32 PM on May. 31, 2009

• All you can do is have the potty available for when they are ready! Maybe buy a few books about potty training and get the concept "out there". Also, what works for one child may not work for another. My oldest daughter p/t herself at 18 months. My son had no interest until he was around 26 months. Who knows when my baby will be ready. One thing that worked for my son was putting a movie in, plonking him down on the potty and loading him up with watered-down juice. Eventually he just peed and was like "woah! what was that?" I did that every day for about a month and he eventually learned how to control his bladder. Of course, your child must be willing to zone out on a potty for an hour and a half for this to work. If they are unwilling or scared don't get upset, just understand that their body is not ready, and revisit the concept at a later time.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 10:32 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My daughter is 2 months away from turning 2 and she just started giving me sighs. According t the doc., they will let you know when they're ready. First step is to use the potty as a chair in front of a cartoon or something to get them used to the chair so its not scary when they start. She also said that you should wait until they are 2 b4 you try.
    ProundNavyWife2

Answer by ProundNavyWife2 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2009