When do I need to teach my son how to eat with a spoon/fork...and not his hands?

My son has gotten to the point to where he wants to eat with his own spoon and fork. He actually refuses to eat if I dont let him. Im glad he is doing that...because hat means he wants to learn. But, when I give it to him...he plays with it. He actually eats better when he doesnt have a fork. If i try to show him how to eat with it, then he starts crying. Im ot sure what to do. He has an idea of what he is doing, but most of the time he just wants to play with his food. Should I keep trying to show him, or just give him the fork and let him do it himself?

BrittanyShay

Asked by BrittanyShay at 7:28 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just give it to him and let him do it himself. for my daughter she has better luck with a spoon. and shes 3 1/2 so it may just be he's really not ready for the fork but if he refuses to eat w/o it its not going to hurt him to try. they also make sporks for little kids so you could try those, my daughter can eat with that b/c at least it has the spoon part that makes it easier for her to get her food up. just every once in awhile show him again how to use it, not every time maybe once or twice a week and eventually he'll figure it out so that he can use it all the time. mine can use one but will put it down and ask for a spoon or just use her hands b/c its harder.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:32 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Um as soon as you start giving them regular table foods a spoon should be offered as well. Then once they start using the spoon a safety fork should be offered when appropriate. Of course they are going to play with it. That's how they learn. Maybe offer it to him after about half his food is gone.

They will never learn if you dont let them do it themselves.
    My DS has been using eating utensil sense before 18 months.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Just give it to him, let him play or whatever and eventually he will catch on, thats what we did with our son, he's now almost 22 months and eats great with a fork!
    LCmommyof2

Answer by LCmommyof2 at 9:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Just let him play w/ it. I gave my DD her fork and spoons to play w/ for a long time before she finally got it. She just played aroung w/ them but still used her hands but now at 17 mo. she uses a fork and spoon! The best part I didnt have to train her she did it all on her own. While at a bbq I put my plate on a chair for us to eat off of together and she picked up a plastic fork and started to use it all by herself! He'll come around to it in his own time.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:41 PM on May. 31, 2009

• For us, she just picked it up one day. It was a giant mess, then bam, using utensils. It was overnight, literally.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I let my son play with it and I feed him with another one. That way he eats and learns
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 10:59 PM on May. 31, 2009

• girl if your kid wants to then let him.. that goes for anything in life that he needs to learn..
    kaseysmom_07

Answer by kaseysmom_07 at 11:42 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I would start now by letting him have a child sized set of utensils to "practice" with at meals. You can still feed him if you worried about him getting enough to eat. You have one spoon and he has a spoon also. Let him "play" with the spoon and occasionally help him scoop some food onto it. In between his bites, you feed him a few bites.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:48 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Your son is ready it's just going to take lots of practice. It's going to be messy but that's how they learn, before you know it he'll have it mastered. Go ahead and start using toddler plates and such. Show him how to use it by eating with him and using forks and spoons to eat and he will copy you.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 1:50 AM on Jun. 1, 2009