Do you give ...

money or food to ppl on the side of the road or on corners with signs? Why or why not?

I usually give money, but only to people who i know arnt "regulars".

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 7:30 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Depends. I prefer to give food, but I also give rides (only in the back of my pickup truck, never in the cab with me and my son) I give money or maybe I'll give them a job, My husband often has many yard projects and my dad owns a shop downtown and they rely on the homeless to mow their "yard" and sweep the parking lot. Its a way of letting them have a little dignity. I also will give them a ride to a local shelter or inform them of ways to get help.

I only feel comfortable to do this bacause I have my concelced carry license and carry a gun on me at all times. I am not a niave trusting person, but I do have sympathy for those who need help and I'm always willing to give someone a job, I know a lot of ppl who need yard/cleaning help.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Well when I was growing up my Dad always did. He actually saw this guy with a sign and a flat tire on his bike that said...will work for food...or something like that. My dad gave him money and let him sleep on our back screened in porch and took him to Walmart to buy a new tire for his bike. He always said what comes around goes around.
    I would not dare stop on the side of the road now to give money. It is to scary. I have a child to look after and I am to worried they could do something to me or my family. You never know if they are wanting money or if they are going to do something else. I just don't trust it now.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 7:35 PM on May. 31, 2009

• sometimes..but i will only give change..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:36 PM on May. 31, 2009

• if im by myself, in a secluded area then im way more likely to, cuz i dont wanna say no and piss them off...but if im with people, then i say sorry dont have any cash on me..i used to work at mcdonalds, and there was always a homeless man sitting out in front, and i often would bring him free food..i have no problem giving food, but i do hesitate when i give money, you just never know what theyre gonna use it for..i also used towork at tim hortons, and would give away free coffee or donuts when they came around..same with when i was at a gas stattion, i would give free slurpees or coffee..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:40 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i'll give change if they are collecting for a charity or if its someone asking for money. my view on it is the same as above, what goes around comes around and if it were me forced into that circumstance i'd like to think someone would offer help. if i see someone on the side of the road broken down and its daytime i will offer use of my cell phone but i don't get out of the car or let them in it, i just roll down the window a bit, b/c you do never know and i won't do that if my daughter is in the car
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:42 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I buy food and when DH owned a convenient store we would always let them work for food. I do believe what comes around goes around and I would really like to help people. Especially because I've been out and my card was declined or my car broke down and I forgot my cell phone. BUT our convenient store was right down the street from a homeless shelter and those people who came in and bought crack pipes or beer were the same ones I'd see on the side of the road and holding a sign that reads, "I need money for my medicine."
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:55 PM on May. 31, 2009

• No, I prefer to give directly to the local charities of my choice; If someone is that hard up for food, clothes or shelter and they want a hand-out from me, then they can obtain help from one of the local charities that I donate to.
    Anonymous

• no I don't. I have bought them food, though. I work hard for my money and I really don't want to chance it going to drugs or alcohol or give it to people who really don't need it. And we've all heard stories of panhandlers going around the corner and getting in their Lexus or BMW. I know there are many homeless people out there and I don't mind buying someone a burger. If they are one of the "dishonest" ones, so be it. They got a burger from me. In my mind it makes me feel better that way.
    Anonymous

• No. I work at a liquor store and see way too many people come in to buy alcohol with their money from panhandling. And they come in a couple of times a day. I have bought food for someone w/ a "hungry" sign, tho.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 8:20 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't give money to them because this guy came up to our car at the gas station asking for money and later on we seen him at the store buying beer.
    Anonymous