Could I have opinions on this statment.

This is about mix race marriage.
"Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."
--Johann Friedrich Blumenbach's 18th-century interpretation of race
I don't agree myself but I was wondering on how others feel about this statement.

fireball1978

Asked by fireball1978 at 7:31 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Based upon what the world was like prior to the 18th century, and how VERY incredibly little people knew about each other, I think that was a fair statement of the times. However, now we move into the 21st century, and the fact that if money were no object, one COULD, conceivably, visit every continent on the planet in less than 36 hours, when back then, it would not be possible to do in less than 10 years, the statement is invalid. God did not separate the races because He did not want them to mix, he separated people at the Tower of Babel in order to stop them from talking each other into worshiping false gods. He separated them by dividing the tribes of Judah, and made them unable to communicate with one another, so that they'd stop with the worshiping false gods, and all of that which was going on at the time.
    In other words, No, I don't think it's a valid statement. People are people.
    judybant

Answer by judybant at 11:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• then "god" shouldn't have given people legs and brains.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I call b*llsh*t personally.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Well the most "intelligent" people of the 12th century would tell you the earth is flat...
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 7:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I disagree. I see interacial marriage practiced in the Bible.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I don't believe in that. God gave us our brains so we could use them to decide what is right and wrong. We all interpret things differently. Something could be right to someone and not the other. So, thats why it is OUR choice to decide.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 7:39 PM on May. 31, 2009

• LOL! is what I think about it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Bull!!!!!!!!!!! Just a lame and disgraceful excuse for this guy's own racial prejudice. What a schmack.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 7:48 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Yeah, I agree that is just a load of crap. People used to say things were wrong or "evil" if they feared ir didn't understand it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:20 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I think it's ludicrous and an expression of the writer's own prejudice (and judging by the dates, I believe it's using God to justify existing prejudices common in that time.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:23 PM on May. 31, 2009