What age is good to potty trainning ? What are some good tips on potty trainning?

Alizebrandy

Asked by Alizebrandy at 7:31 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Be specific as far as what you expect of the child. Peeing is usually easier. So you might say "it's time to go pee" instead of "it's potty time" that way the child knows what to do.
    Also, put the child on the toilet about every 2 hours or when you know the child is probably gonna go. like as soon as he/she wakes up. before nap. after nap. ect ect.

And i used a sticker chart with my son. we changed the rules once he masterd a certian area of toilet learning. Once he mastered peeing in the toilet. We changed it from just whenever he went potty to whenever he went poop in the potty. Then once that was mastered it was time to master night time. So, whenever he woke up from bed time or nap time with a dry diaper he got a sticker. He was fully toilet learned by 27 months or so.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Also, try avoid using food as a reward. Try a favorite activity or toy instead.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have read articles about this topic, and they all say the same thing. Potty train your child when he/she is ready. When they start letting you know that they have gone "poo poo" or "pee pee" or whatever terms they use.. then it might be time. You have to make sure the experience is a positive one for both you and your child. My son is 2 1/2 and I'm starting just now. Some kids are late bloomers- and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm also making it fun.. I made a potty chart- and he gets to add a sticker on the chart everytime he pee's in the bathroom. Or sometimes he gets a surprise toy.. these are just examples, but you can do other creative stuff. I hope this helped you and good luck =)
    SinCitiChick

Answer by SinCitiChick at 8:15 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I know they say not to give your child a food reward but seriously I started my daughter at 22 months and I gave her an M&M or a piece of chocolate after she went and she was potty trained in 1 month. She also didn't like to pee down her legs. It may not work for you though, my daughter is a sucker for chocolate.
    mistie900

Answer by mistie900 at 8:54 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Also, I think my daughter was just ready. She never has accidents and she is 25 months old.
    mistie900

Answer by mistie900 at 9:00 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I find that two years of age has and is working for me. I have heard said that if they wake up in the morning dry that they are ready. Also I am finding that if I get her out of bed right when she wakes up and sit her on the potty she usually goes right a way by little choice and then i make a big deal about it. Now she likes doing it now.
    katiejoyh

Answer by katiejoyh at 9:48 PM on May. 31, 2009

• My daughter will be 18 months old tomorrow and that's when I will start potty training her (unless I go into labor, today is my son's due date). I just bought Summer 3-stage reward potty trainer & step stool. I really have no idea how I'm going to go about it...I'll probably read up on it to know how to begin the process. I feel she is showing signs she is ready to learn.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:50 PM on May. 31, 2009