How can i stop him from whinning?

He whines all the time. I tell him to use big boy words, or that i cant understand and he'll stop long enough to tell me whatever it is he needs to say. And then two minutes later he's talking about something else with a whine in his voice.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 7:52 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Be very consistant, because, let's face it: they are right?
    My daughter does it a lot, but stops quickly when I ignor her or tell her that I do not understand.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:36 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• just keep telling him thats all that works for my daughter, shes 3 1/2. i tell her that i don't understand her when she talks that way and if she wants to talk to me she has to talk nice. that'll usually do the trick and she'll use her words like a big girl
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:54 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I watched one of myfriends go through this. She ignored everything said in a whiney voice, or she said "I don't understand you when you whine." He NEVER got anywhere, and he stopped pretty quickly. But it was tough to watch, so I imagine she was screaming in her head.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:25 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I had my daughter have a seat in time out for one or two minutes every time she whined, sometimes they do not realize how much they whine and are just used to doing it. then after the two minutes have your child then tell you what they want.- this worked for me. Be consistent
    katiejoyh

Answer by katiejoyh at 9:55 PM on May. 31, 2009