• In the Spotlight:

how do baby's react when you switch from breastmilk to formula?

how are their stools supposed to be when they are on formula

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Harder, darker, and way smellier.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:56 PM on May. 31, 2009

• what Collinsky said. but make sure they arent getting constipated. Both my kids did when i switched. If they di then give then some apple juice. My Pediatrician told me to use Similac Advanced Early Shield. He said it has kind of the same laxitive effect that breastmilk has.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 7:59 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Mine didn't have bowel movements near as often....which I was pretty darn happy about! Breastmilk they seem to poop after every meal and when he was on formula it seems like it went down to only one a day....im not sure exactly, its been 4 years ago but something like that.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 8:03 PM on May. 31, 2009

• a) fine no change b) allergic reaction (severe to minor) c) severe stomach discomfort d) constipation

Just remember that breastmilk is made for baby and baby is able to digest it without discomfort. Formula takes a very different tract and can be very taxing on baby and their digestion even leading to life long allergies and stomach problems. Good Luck!

Anonymous

• Poop will be more solids, more foul smelling, and change color, it can stop them up because of the synthetic vitamins especially the iron...I recommend trying to give a bit of BM with the formula in the transition...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Its actually a myth about the iron, it's just the formula that it's dairy based is what can constipate them....my DD takes both and does fine. She has been slightly constipated for one day then the next had an explosion...thats the only time. Just transition slowly and watch for milk allergies. My DD had none....she never spits up, never has gas and never has discomfort. She's always happy...she still nurses through the night. She's only on formula a little bit, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• PP here...and her poops aren't WAY smellier. Maybe it's b/c she still gets BM?
    Anonymous

• ** it can stop them up because of the synthetic vitamins especially the iron...**

A study performed by Frank Oski, the late Chairman of Pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Medical School, showed that iron-fortified formulas do not cause constipation any more than formulas with low iron.
    Anonymous

• high and low iron formulas have synthetic iron, ANY synthetic iron causes constipation, ever taken iron pills? I have they stopped me up
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• What that person wrote saying it's dairy based is the reason for constipation is so wrong. I had to switch my daughter over at 10 months and she had nothing but soy formula, there no dairy in that at all. And she has to cry every time she poops because she so constipated. And there no need to watch for milk allergies, breastfed moms should know what their kid is allergic to by now, and most of us do drink milk. But so far with formula, constipation has been the worst.
    Anonymous