My 20 month old daughter keeps sticking objects in her nose. how can I stop her? before it turns into a day at the hospital.

She first started with pieces of wipes but now she puts food and her little hair rubberbands. I am scared that I won't notice when she does it and that something will get stuck in there. I keep telling her to stop but she smiles at me and does it again!

JFersMaMa

Asked by JFersMaMa at 8:02 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh I have been threw this. My daughter stuck a piece of apple up her nose and we didn't know it. She was saying her nose hurt so we took her to get checked up and they pulled out a huge piece of apple! All you can really do is tell them no and watch them. Make sure that things are picked up. Watch your child as much as you can. That's all you really can do. Good luck lol.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 8:48 PM on May. 31, 2009

• This doesnt really answer that question but when I was very little I stuck a tick tack up my nose! My mom got it out but I was so freaked out by it I never did it again! Live and learn. But def watch her of course!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:41 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Id say keep a close eye on her and get down to her level and tell her "NO NO" that will hurt you baby. and if she keeps doing it a little smack on the hand wont hurt it will just get her attention and make her think"hey if I stick things in my noes my hand get smacked" she will catch on quickly I promise.
    Anonymous

• Put the item she is playing with in time out, and really play it up. Tell her to tell the item not to do that, and to tell her hands not to either. Works for my daughter, because then she sees that she has some sort of control over the situation and that it is not a game.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:34 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• omg its scary right? my daughter loved to stick things in her nose. she was 1 and a half. she once stuck a barbie shoe in her nose.... went to the ER couldnt c it did xrays saw the dang thing up there. drs did not want to try picking it out because it can scratch the inside of her nose wall making it bleed etc. a whole month later she got the snezzzzing attack and ther came out that pink barbie shoe.
    Bellaaa

Answer by Bellaaa at 7:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009