what is better for a toothache hot water or cold?

I'm making an appt tomorrow But i have heard some say hot water is bad...i have taken tylenol and but orejel and ambesol...I can't take much more I'm 5 months pregnant what can help with the pain....suggestions please thank you

rissa1789

Asked by rissa1789 at 8:09 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• teeth are sensitive to both hot and cold so i'd say neither is good, maybe a heat pad on your face if you think it'll help.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Rinse with warm salt water. Hot or cold water will only aggravate an already sensitive tooth, but swishing some warm salt water will relieve a lot of the pain, says William P. Maher, D.D.S., assistant professor of endodontics at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry.

Just mix two to three teaspoons of salt in a glass of water. The salt draws out some of the fluids causing the swelling and has a general soothing effect. The saltwater rinse also cleans the areas around the infected tooth. Even unsalted lukewarm water (about body temperature) can flush out an irritating piece of rotting food and provide some relief

Use some more ice on your hand. Here's a neat trick developed by pain researcher Ronald Melzack, Ph.D., of McGill University in Montreal, Quebec. Rub a piece of ice on the V-shaped area between your thumb and forefinger for five to seven minutes, until that area goes numb.
    corinnejenkins

Answer by corinnejenkins at 8:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Cold has always worked for me it will numb your face on the side that it hurts on.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Are you talking for external use, like an ice pack for your cheek? Cold numbs, so that is what you want externally. Heat is used to relax muscles, such as for back pain.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:52 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Put a clove on the gum surrounding the tooth, that'll numb it.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 8:55 PM on May. 31, 2009

• put an asprin on the tooth
    Anonymous

• don't put asprin on your tooth, it will eat the enamel and make your teeth worse. I'm living proof of that. I would swish with lukewarm salt water like corrinejenkins said. that's what my dentist told me to do before I had all my teeth fixed.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 9:12 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i had problems like that when i was pregnant, and what worked best for me was taking a mouhfull of milk and sitting for a few minutes with the milk in your mouth, leaning your head to whatever said the pain was on and just letting the milk sit on your sore tooth for a few minutes..i dont know how or why, but it worked!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:15 PM on May. 31, 2009

• neither. use lukewarm water....basically as close as you can to right in the middle. it doesnt bother mine when i do it like that.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:32 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I was a dental asst. for 15 years and people who had abscessed teeth would put cold water on them to feel better. Hope this helps.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:30 PM on May. 31, 2009