How do define a Redneck?

This is from another question. Somebody said that little kids with Mohawks are rednecks in the making. Somehow this shocked me, my dh and I are educated people I wouldn't classify myself as a redneck in any sense, but I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.

How do you define Redneck?

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 8:58 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I live in redneck country and the only time you see a mohawk around here is when college is in session. who ever said that has never met a real redneck or seen a kid with a mohawk. most locals would have a fit if their kid had a mohawk and say that they looked like a freak.
    to answer the question now, a redneck is some one who is ignorant, close minded and stubborn about it. they refuse to change because that's the way they have always done things regardless of how ineffective, stupid or pointless it is.
    also on a personal note, a redneck is some one who doesn't bother to change their clothes after working in a hot sweaty barn all day and is covered in manure before the go to the store or out to eat. please think of those around you, no one wants to smell that even if your 6 aisles away.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 9:26 PM on May. 31, 2009

• When you cut your grass and find a car or two you may be a redneck :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:03 PM on May. 31, 2009

• OK, Well that being said, I am not a redneck.lol
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:04 PM on May. 31, 2009

• LOL the definition is hard and I walked myself into having to explain it to my 5 year old the other day. (His neck was irritated from something and I'm like, oh your neck is red, then had the sudden epiphany and said laughlying, "You're a redneck.") Of course I couldn't define it too well and my son suddenly remembered in the car today and asked Daddy - and he too stumbled through the definition as well.
    Anonymous

• Mohawks are more associated w/ rockers. Mullets are more of the redneck flavor. I live in Alabama, so I know rednecks! Missing teeth. Rebel flag. Pick up truck. Nascar lovers. Living in a run-down trailer park. You think Jeff Foxworthy actually has something important & intelligent to say. You talk country & no one can really understand what you're talking about. Your hands are dirty all the time...usually covered in motor oil. You use dip tobacco. Your mama's still smoking while on a respirator. None of your flannel shirts have sleeves. You've got cousins names Bug, Toot, & Skeet.
    Anonymous

• You might be a redneck if you've been married 3 times and still have the same in-laws.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 9:16 PM on May. 31, 2009

• and the whole town is related...
    Anonymous

• Or if your parents got divorces and they are still brother and sister!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:18 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I "jokingly" call my fiance a redneck all the time. But I'm from a very small,very country town. He's a mechanic from a family of mechanics. His clothes are always stained with grease and he likes to play in trucks in the mud...(so do I). When we first started dating he did "chew" or "dip" I had to break him of this habit. Basically he has the accent as well. And an unhealthy attachment to Bud Light the nastiest beer on the planet. He isn't offended by the title I give him, in fact he loves it. And I love him so I tolerate it. That's kind of how I picture a redneck.
    xCalliex

Answer by xCalliex at 9:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• A slang term, usually for a rural white southerner who is politically conservative, racist, and a religious fundamentalist (see fundamentalism). This term is generally considered offensive. It originated in reference to agricultural workers, alluding to how the back of a person's neck will be burned by the sun if he works long hours in the fields.
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:38 PM on May. 31, 2009