Do you look down on people who live in trailer parks?

My husband and I are financially stable. I don't have to work and don't really have to follow a budget (but I am not a big spender). My daughter's college fund is already adequate, and she's 7. We're both college educated, travel several times a year, have very nice vehicles and recreational toys. My house is 3500 sq. ft., and I have a custom chef's kitchen--granite countertops, a HUGE island, top notch appliances, & wood floors throughout the house. I know all of that comes across as arrogant, but I'm just trying to get my point across. (We worked VERY HARD for all this!)
Here's the thing...we live in a trailer park. My house is a mobile home. It's on a HUGE lake, and the trailers (manufactured homes) are BEAUTIFUL. But when I meet new people and tell them I live in a mobile home community, their demeanor immediately changes, and not for the better!

So my question is...do you look down on people who live in trailers

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• NOT AT ALL. I spent the first 15 years of my life growing up in one. I've met a lot of people that live there by choice, not because of their financial situation.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:35 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Nope not at all. As a matter of fact, there are some VERY nice mobile home communities out there, and my husband and I are looking to moving to one. BUT on the other hand there are some very trashy trailer parks out there too. I think more people know about the trashy ones and would never know that there is a nice one. I just found out 2 months ago that they weren't all trashy lol. But no I've never looked down on someone because they live in a trailer.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Nope! :) I think the best people come out of trailor parks! :)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• No. why would someone care? I dont get it. I dont understand why people are so stuck on what people have or what they think they have or what they dont have. Its your life and nobody elses. So if they look down on you.....its an issue they have with themselves. if its a mobile home, a house, a condo, a apartment or whatever it may be, its ours and for no one else to judge on but ourselves. We make the choices on where we live and as long as we are happy...then thats all that matters.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 9:39 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have seen both types of trailer parks. My best friend also lives in a beautiful manufactured home. His property appraises for $350k. I would think it would be a ignorant statement to say his home is not acceptable.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:41 PM on May. 31, 2009

• No but trailer parks differ from place to place. Outside LA they can run $800,000. Some are not nearly as nice. I think that's the stereotype folks may have. Especially in tornado country, it's always the trailer park that's wiped out to the point of total devastation.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:44 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i dont think i've ever seen a nice trailer park in my area. but i would never look down on someone b/c they live in a trailer park. how ignorant is that?!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:52 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i don't look down on people but i used to think the neighborhoods tended to be more trashy b/c in my hometown they were. then i got out of my area and saw other places and realized there are some really nice ones so now i realize that not all of them are trashier neighborhoods. some are really nice (especially in LA, thats were hubby is from and the first time i saw his aunts house i was like no way this is a trailer!)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:54 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I live in a trailer, in a trailer park. My trailer is small, but it is nice and it is paid for. Plus the trailer park we live in is VERY picky about who they let live here. There are older trailers here, but they have been here for years. They will not let trailers that are more than like 4 years old move in here. We have to keep the trailers very clean, yards have to stay mowed. You aren't allowed to drive motorcycles or any kind of loud car in here. And the woman who owns it her son runs it with her, and he gets up and drives around the park like 3 times every night to make sure everything is safe. I embrace my trailer trashiness LOL, I am the queen of trailer trash, Plus I live in Alabama so I really am trailer trash. I am kidding of course about the whole trailer trah thing but, I am in no way embaressed to say I live in a trailer.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:01 PM on May. 31, 2009

• people who look down on anyone is not a very nice person anyway i don't care what people think about me as long as i know what kind of person i am all i worry about is what GOD think about me i came up in a poor family but a good family who loved each other and all my sisters and brothers turned out to be good people i don't judge any one by what they have i judge them by what is in their heart a lot of people looked down on us because we were poor and it hurt but i don't judge anyone.
    georgia362

Answer by georgia362 at 10:03 PM on May. 31, 2009