Can I restrict family access to my son?

My SiL has blown up at DH for no reason twice in front of Logan. These blow ups usually involve profanities and yelling for several hours. She's basically a very spoiled 27-year old who complains that she's fat (she is 5'4" 250+lbs), but blames it on DH (yeah right). Her parents bought her a new car for Christmas. Things like that.... Tonight was the last straw. She yelled "F-ing A-----e" at DH tonight and Logan literally jumped. I then in turn decided to get in on it and demanded she put a dollar in his college fund jar, which was responded with her wallet thrown at my head (while I was holding Logan).

Do I have a right to restrict access to Logan? It would require turning down immediate family events. I don't want my son around that stuff, particularly since he's talking, now.

AlyKen

Asked by AlyKen at 9:34 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to tell her "bitch back off." you know what it's YOUR baby, YOUR house and YOUR husband, you have every damn right to tell her. If your DH wants to fight with his sister, then he can go to HER house...that would absolutely NOT be allowed in my house let alone near my DD. NO WAY!!. You need to stand up for your home and you peace and your baby. That's exactly why my DH RARELY sees his sister and his mom, nothing but drama and we all live in the same town.

YES you have the right to restrict access. they are grown adults, this is when his little brain is like a sponge and he WILL learn it and soak everything up and learn to be angry.

Good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• He's your son and if you don't want to be around her with your son, you don't have to. Tell her she needs to grow up and act like a 27 year old woman before she can hang out with you guys again. I wouldn't tolerate blow-ups like that at all!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:37 PM on May. 31, 2009

• HOly crap! I totally missed the part where she threw a wallet at your HEAD??!! Oh hell no. she needs to stay FAAAR away from your son. Period.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• If fighting around your son is involed, yes. I would tell her if she can not control herself around your son,she is not invited over any more. And if it is at family events..When that sort of stuff starts happening..Just leave.

Answer by louise2 at 9:41 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I've been in this situation , sort of, b4. My SIL lived with us and her son ( who we took care of, he was more like a brother to her) also lived with us. She alwys had spoiled bitch fits and we always put up with it for the sake of our nephew. She would throw things at us, such as lamps, shoes, and whatever else she could get her hands on. We now get along with her because we finally told her we were NOT going to deal with that anymore and that we wanted her OUT! I couldn't take anymore of her yelling at my hubby when he supported her and her child. Just tell her to back off and that she is no longer to see your son until she gets her stuff together. I relly feel for you. GL
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 9:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• More than that. You have a right to toss her right out of all your lives till she learns to behave. Tell your hubby that you WILL NOT attend family events with her present until she learns to behave, and that she is NOT welcome in your home either.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:12 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I so agree! Skip all family events, you don't want your son exposed to that. I am so sorry you have had to deal with that at all!
    snailteacher

Answer by snailteacher at 12:36 AM on Jun. 1, 2009