Why is magic that is used for good considered evil?

For those who say movies about "witchcraft" like Harry Potter and others that are similar are evil...

In fiction stories like this, there is always a "good" and "evil" side, right? Harry Potter, for example, is the "good side". He and his friends are using magic to stop the bad guys and rid their magical land of evil. So how is it considered evil to fight AGAINST evil??? Why is it evil to depict an imaginary character who uses his powers for good? To help people, to stop crime, whatever? Why would it be so horrible for your kids to see a movie where good wins?

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 9:37 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The reason some religious folk dislike magic of any kind is because (as far as I know) magic comes from an individual's own manipulation of the forces around them and they are directly responsible for whatever the outcome is. Christians feel that God is in control and relying on other forces or ourselves for our answers/problems is in direct violation of how the Bible has told us to deal with our needs/wants/problems. Their problem with Harry Potter is that they do not want their children to glorify magic when the desire is that their children should pray to God for their needs/wants instead.

SOME people feel that the forces granting the requests and responding to manipulation are demonic forces in disguise. This is also why people label all type of witchcraft and sorcery as "evil" and therefore include Harry Potter in the mix.

(cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I have no idea !!!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:39 PM on May. 31, 2009

• It would make more sense to someone that had belief in God. But since you don't, it's not beneficial for me to try to explain. Are you genuinely looking for an answer or just trying to pick on Christians?
    Anonymous

• i think some ppl (mostly Christians) fear things like witches, wizards, magic, & the like b/c they dont understand it. they assume that anything like it is the work of the devil. they cant see that it is just a literary device to show the age-old fight btw good & evil. there is also a verse in the OT that talks bad about King Saul (i believe) for using a witch to talk to King Samuel (he had died).

ive always been confused how anyone could get upset at something that shows that choosing the good path in life is best. especially when one magical story (Chronicles of Narnia) is okay, but another (Harry Potter) is bad...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:45 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Because the Bible says to stay away from witchcraft and the like. You can't take something that is is evil at it's core and say you're using it for good. There is NO good in evil and you can't make evil good.

It's the same thing as taking the evil act of murder and saying it is being done for the good of a woman as in abortion. There's no way to make any good out of evil, thus, witchcraft in any form is evil not good.

Anonymous

• So if your religious,, If it is not in the bible??Saying it is ok to believe in that,, it is evil? That is narrow minded

Answer by louise2 at 9:50 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I don't understand it....nor do I understand how someone can say the core of it is evil when they know nothing about it.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:51 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Ok, so, if things are evil at the core and you can't change something evil into something good, why do so many Christians try to save us "evil nonbelievers?" If we are evil, we can't be changed, you said it yourself Anon. Now answer that.
    I think the reason most Christians think it is bad is because they believe that magical powers are from the devil, and nothing good can ever come from him. I don't agree that that is where magic comes from, but I have been in the position where I did.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:05 PM on May. 31, 2009

• It's a black and white, legalistic viewpoint that allows for no shades of gray that can condemn the tool and not the intent and therefore make such a sweeping value judgment in the name of good and evil. So if one believes that magic is evil it makes no difference how magic is used, even if it's for good, by good people or with good intent.

It's a very simplistic way of viewing the world which misses the greater beauty that the world offers. I consider it a form of immature thinking.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:08 PM on May. 31, 2009

• What gets me is the same people who gets their panties in a twist over Harry Potter of Lord of the Rings (stories about magic they haven't read) don't do the same with The Wizard of Oz and Sesame Street and Cinderella.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:21 PM on May. 31, 2009