What would you do?

If you had a baby and your babys grandparents did not know. Due to unusual circumstances, I had a baby without the fathers involvement. (split before I found out I was expecting) the baby dads side of the family has no idea about the baby. Being I am the only one raising my child (6months old) I'm all my child knows as family. I would like him to know more of his family. Not sure if I should let them know or not. If I do, my child then has the possiblity of knowing his relatives. If I wait till my child asks, (assuming years down the road when the baby can at least speak) then they miss out on his childhood.
what would you do, what is in the best intrest for a child being raised by one single parent and knowing no relatives?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would tell them. just b/c the dad may not want to be involved doesn't mean you should punish them and your child and not let them be involved if they want too. and at least that way down the road, if they don't want to be involved, you know you gave them that chance. and on top of that, if you tell them later on and they want to be involved they may be very upset and hurt that you didn't tell them sooner
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:59 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I think it's a good Idea to let them know. It would be really good for your child to get to know them at a younger age. You can never have too many people that love you. (this is just my oppinion I do not know personal reasons there may me to not let them know the child)
    Countrymommy03

Answer by Countrymommy03 at 10:01 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Also to add to PP, when your child IS old enough to ask, you at least won't have it hanging over you that you held them apart. Telling them keeps you from being the bad guy no matter how they react.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 10:08 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i would tell them right away
    parisonmom

Answer by parisonmom at 10:25 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I would tell them too. But be prepared for the fact that they might be totally surprised and may not believe you at first that their son is the dad. Try not to take it too personal if that happens, it is alot to take in having a girl show up and say hey here's your grandson. I wasn't completely clear either, does his Dad know about him? I kind couldnt tell from your question. I mioght get in touch with him first if it ais reasonable to do so, and tell him that you are going to do it. But definitely tell them, grandparents are wonderfull to have in a babies life, and you dont want your son to miss out on that special relationship. Also if you have medical questions down the road as far as family history it would be nice to know both sides of things you know?
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:41 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I guess I don't know the whole story and why other family don't know about your child. I think having other family in your child's life is a good thing... but if there are good reasons to keep him out of their lives then keep doing what you are doing.
    You can have other "family" close friends even "grandparents". Growing up I had some neighbors that we called Grandma and Grandpa... and while we knew they weren't really out grandparents they were still family to us.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Of course invite them to be part of your baby's life. and file for child support

Answer by rkoloms at 12:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2009