Have you seen Bill Maher's documentary "Religious"? What did you think?

abs0726

Asked by abs0726 at 10:02 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I haven't seen it but I have seen him speak before and don't care much for his opinions. I don't think I would like the movie.
    Anonymous

• Did not intend to make my answer anon, sorry!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:04 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I have seen it and it was so funny!
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 10:08 PM on May. 31, 2009

• awesome. watched it twice.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:28 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I really enjoyed it... it could have gone either way for me, so I was pleasantly surprised to like it as much as I did. I did NOT like his disrespect of Islam, but that's his style, I know he was trying to be shocking. It was just a bit tasteless IMO. (I only saw it once, so I might see it differently if I watched it again.)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:53 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Haven't seen it yet... Want to though.
    taylor-made

Answer by taylor-made at 11:28 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Religulous, to be honest with you, was one of the most poorly done "documentaries" I have ever seen.

Maher has a "pull the rug out from under you to suit my agenda" kind of interview style. He asks an interveiwee a question, then before they can answer he makes a snide remark and when they recoil from the remark in surpise, he interrupts and acts like they couldn't answer his question when they sit there absolutely dumbfounded at his sarcasm and interjections. I got SO annoyed because I JUST wanted him to shut up for a second so I could hear the person answer without his interjections.

He also didn't exactly interview the most authoritative subjects in regards to the Christian faith. If you want to know in-depth, theological answers....going to someone who gets paid to be Jesus at an amusement park is not exactly the best source if you REALLY want information.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• (cont.) IMHO, it didn't really appear as though he truly was neutral and wanted information. His agenda was very clear and he interveiwed under prepared people that he knew he could easily dominate in a "debate." The one scientist was very good but his interview wasn't very long which was disapointing.

I've seen plenty of documentaries that set out to do a very similar project that I had no problem with. This one just annoyed the crap out of me.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• What NovemberLove said! Aside from a couple laughs, he shared nothing earth-shattering. It got my hubby asking me questions about the Bible, so God was able to use even this junk for His purpose. :)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• November, this is the whole purpose of the documentary. Look at how many people profess to be Religious and have not one clue why they believe what they do or how to answer the most basic religious questions. It proves to me that most people's religious beliefs are nothing more than ignorant hear say and that most of them are in a religion simply because they were brought up that way or out of fear of going to hell.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:20 AM on Jun. 1, 2009