how did you feel when your nest was empty?

I cried when my grandson left after five days of staying with us while i took a few days off for my youngest dd graduation from HS. I feel like I am not a mommy anymore. I want to keep crying. What did you do?

Vivian63

Asked by Vivian63 at 10:08 PM on May. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, I can just tell you what my mom did. I was the first to move out, but my brother just moved out about a year ago..She just kept herself really busy, cleaning the house, making his bedroom into a play/bedroom for my kids when they spent the night and my room turned into an office. She washed walls, ceilings, worked outside in the flower beds, went shopping for the Grand kids and became a babysitter for my LO's. (which was an unbelievable help).

Now she is enjoying the quiet of the house and her time with my Dad. She tells me now, " I love you and your brother, but I am so glad you have your own place" Joking of course.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:16 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I made myself as busy as possible and then I couldn't think of my son's being gone and on their own. I prayed to my higher power and for me it is Jesus. zI hope that I have been able to help someone else.
    free4butterflys

Answer by free4butterflys at 10:18 PM on May. 31, 2009

• It wasn't as bad with my oldest, because I still had kids at home. When my youngest went to college I thought I was going to die. I cried and cried. My son left his favorite old matchbox car on the chest of drawers. I was so pathetic I would go in there and drive it around the top..lol. I finally had to just get busy. Hub and I quickly fell back into just taking off and going where we wanted. It was an incredible freedom. We didn't have to check who had school, or practice or work. We just got up and went. We took a cruise and had a blast. Nine months later we had to take custody of our grandkids. Enjoy it now..you don't know what is down the road.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:07 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I had two more kids. My oldest is 23 when he left home at 19 I thought I would die and I had 2 lsft at home. I had him young so maybe I was no prepared to lose him at 38. So my DH and I had two more boys at 39 and 40. They are now 2 and 3. A bit extreem I know lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2009