My son's first day of school is tomorrow. Any advice?

He is going to kingergarten summer school bc he didnt go to pre-k. He didn't go to pre-k bc we had a great sitter that taught the kids. then she turned into sitter from hell and abused my kids. needless to say neither of us were ready to let him go to school yet. he was still recovering from the trama of that b**ch.

jody1130

Asked by jody1130 at 10:27 PM on May. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Talk it up to him..."Yay big boy is going to school" keep talking about school to him and get him excited.

advice for you, take some tissues. A BUNCH OF THEM!!
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• OMG i dread when that day comes for me. He goes to daycare that is also a preK school....so I am used to him going somewhere...but SCHOOL...the real school. WOW, what a big step.
    Im nervous for you!! GOOD LUCK. Make it as fun as possible so he doesn't feel scared!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 10:32 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Be prepared to hold YOUR tears!! My son didn't even want me to walk him across the street!!! When my daughter started preschool a few months ago she was like "bye mom, go away!" LOL!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Don't send him to school for the summer! Let him play out in the warm weather! You could make him really depressed if you lock him up in a building in the summer. My advice: Homeschool him. Don't send him out there where he can get abused again.
    Why don't you just say he was homeschooled for pre-k if the babysitter taught him? You don't have to let the school have him until the manditory education age, which is 7 in Minnesota.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 1:32 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My dd loved school. I wish they could go all summer long. Go on a tour and meet the teacher. Let him be involved in picking out school supplies. I cried after I dropped my dd off at school the first time, but it has been such a positive experience for her! It is usually way easier on the child than the parent. Watching my dd pick out her backpack is one of my favorite things before school starts.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• jody, it's hard. be sure to explain to his teacher what happened to your child in private. Teachers are there to help the child. Expect some child seperation anxiety. If this happens, it's ok to just leave. The teacher will redirect his attention to fun stuff. And ask your child's teacher about staying a few seconds. Did you and your child go to his/her school and check out the room? Most schools I know do orientation for parents and children to come check out things. Trust me, all moms go through this ordeal of their child going to school. I don't know whom it is harder on. The mother or the child. But, soon your child will be learning great things and making friends and you just might met other moms and set up playdates. Oh and on the sitter...I hope you reported her to the proper authorities. Good luck.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 1:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2009