When did you start your baby on "solids"??? PLEASE HELP!

I have a 4 and half month old who was way past the point of ready for cereal. In the morning he has a bottle, then for lunch he has cereal and a bottle, and for dinner he has a bottle and a veggie ie: carrots, squash or sweet potatoes. When did you start feeding your baby, baby food??? PLEASE ANSWER!!!

AspinLea

Asked by AspinLea at 10:36 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can feed them baby food at 4 months....thats what the books say.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 10:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i started my daughter @ 4 momths
    proudmomwifey

Answer by proudmomwifey at 10:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• yea, i just read a website that said no veggies til 6 mos..but my baby knows when dinner time is and gets cranky when its that time..
    AspinLea

Answer by AspinLea at 10:39 PM on May. 31, 2009

• 4 months is WAY to young I'm a pediatric nurse and their stomachs CANNOT digest it well yet at that age also can cause more food allergies later on and asthma also linked child and adult obesity she only needs formula now that's it don't force your child to grow faster and act older then she needs to
    Anonymous

• sorry but, cereal and veggies are baby food? I started my son on cereal when he was 4 months. He'll be 1 in a few weeks and I still can't give him meat baby food, it smells weird and I just think it's gross. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• you can feed your baby regular baby food when your baby is ready.. only you will know.. i started feeding my daughter around 5 months and she ate pretty much everything.. just NO dairy or milk until a year old and meats are last.. try not to feed your baby meats until about 6 or 7 months old.. their digestive tracks cant handle it.. you dont want to feed your baby solids too soon
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 11:42 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionist recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 12:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2009