If your family had problems with you nursing, what would you do?

No one other than my husband, and MIL supports my breastfeeding. My mother thinks its ok, but she thinks that after 9 mos its disgusting. I want to nurse until she is atleast a year if not a little longer. What would you do if your family was unsupportive of your nursing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep on going Mom! Do what you think is best!!!
    Anonymous

• whose the mother in tthis situation? you do w.e you want to do it isnt up to any1 but you.there allowed to have an opinion but what you feel is best for your child is up to you.i know people who have breastfed for to a year and i noe people who have wanted to but could only last 2 months or 6 months n stuff.this is your control not any1 elses.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 10:45 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Give them the facts nicely. After that do what is best for you and your baby and ignore them. If they are uncomfortable with you nursing around them they will either have to get use to it or stay away.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:46 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I agree with all of the above.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:47 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Frankly they don't deserve a response. I would just blow them off.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:52 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Who cares, it's your kid, do as you wish. What did you do, take a survey??? Anytime a child is nursed or bottle fed after a year, I would say that would be extreme.
    Anonymous

• This was my situation with my first baby. My MIL kept pushing me to keep it up and let my baby self wean and my own mother kept pushing me to quit because it was "disgusting".
    I did what I felt was best, which was keep nursing until I was ready to quit. Which I did at about a year.

Now my mother always talks about how she is soooo supportive of breastfeeding. Ugh, she drives me crazy!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:54 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Who cares what they think!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• oh wow.. i cant believe someone would actually tell you to stop breastfeeding.. ANY doctor you talk to will tell you to breastfeed AT LEAST one year.. im a nursing student and we learn a lot about babies nurtrition... its PROVEN that if you breastfeed until 1 year old then your baby will have better brain growth and a way better immune system.. mothers milk is natural and its there for a reason.. for you to breastfeed.. if your family actually says something negative about it i would tell them you dont care what they have to say if they are going to be negative.. you are doing whats best for your baby and you are doing the RIGHT thing.. its soooo important to breastfeed as long as you can! even after the baby is a year old you can still breastfeed.. now if your baby is old enough to ask for the baba haha thats a different story.. once they turn 2 you should wean them
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 11:41 PM on May. 31, 2009

• It's your child, and your choice. Simple as that.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 12:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2009