Did they tell you this?

I went for my U/S with baby number two a few days ago and I asked her about how much does he weigh? She said oh we can no longer tell mothers that. I know three years ago with DS I asked and they lady told me. Just wondering if you were told the same thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had my son a year ago and they could tell me then. My sister just had her son about a month ago and they told her at every ultrasound how much he weighed.
    Anonymous

• My youngest is almost 19 months and they kept me up to date with that every time. I have never heard of that. I am a little confused now..
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:47 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i haven't had a single weight on an unborn child
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:47 PM on May. 31, 2009

• It's probably because the u/s weight measurement isn't really accurate - it can be off by 2 to 3 lbs in either direction, meaning that if they tell you you're going to have a 7 lb baby, the reality might be anywhere from less than 5 lbs to over 9 lbs. Could be that they decided that it wasn't accurate enough to be useful information.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:47 PM on May. 31, 2009

• it may just be that location and that they won't allow them to guess anymore, b/c thats all they are really doing is just guessing.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:48 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Also it might be that the person doing the ultrasound has to wait to have the information reviewed by someone else before she can tell you anything definitive at all.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:49 PM on May. 31, 2009

• A lot of places have stopped doing it due to liability. Most likely someone had a baby that was underweight and had issues and they got sued for emotional distess or something. It isn't a big deal They are highly inaccurate depending on the technician.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:49 PM on May. 31, 2009

• They told me the estimate, and said it was not accurate though.
    Anonymous

• My friend had an u/s last week at the same place I use to go to and they told her the weight but said it can be off by 11 oz either direction. I think they dont give you any info but that they will write it in the doc's report so ask your doc at your next appt. I had weight check u/s every week for the last 3 weeks with my son and the last 7 weeks with my daughter and they told me at each one how much they weighed. But they were off by over a pound both times!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:56 PM on May. 31, 2009

• They didn't tell me that but many techs won't tell you any more because it SO INACCURATE!! It can be off by 2-3 POUNDS in either direction which is quite a bit for a little bitty baby so I guess they don't see the point in telling people.

They told me my baby weighed aproximently 4 pounds at 32 weeks but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. My doctor's guess after palpating my uterus with my first was VERY accurate but then my friend's doctor told her that her baby was over 9 pounds and he ended up being just over 6.
    Anonymous