what is a good "sweets" substitute while pregnant?

I just ate half a pound of zucchini and still want that 10g fat per serving piece of chocolate by my bed. What did you eat instead of crap when you wanted it?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 10:55 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Eat a bowl of frozen blueberries

Answer by rkoloms at 12:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• eating a few actual "sweets" won't hurt anything. Indulge in your cravings.
    When I wanted something really sweet, the only thing that would take away my sweet tooth is strawberry shortcake or cheesecake. I really enjoyed my cheesecake smothered in strawberries. and fresh apple cake.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:56 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I craved salmon from Alaska-clean waters, and I wanted peanut butter, and cherry vanilla ice cream- which I dont eat now. I think u should enjoy being pregnant- u can diet after he is born- enjoy eating now as long as ur not diabetic- enjoy.
    Anonymous

• of course it won't hurt anything, i just don't need empty calories from crap processed foods. same attitude i had when i wasn't pregnant, except then i HATED chocolate.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:00 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Enjoy being pregnant and eat what you want (with in reason). If you want a whole german chocolate cake then eat it... Its the one time in your life that you can really enjoy food.. Ok thats my opinion anyway. If you want to stay away from actual sweets like candy the go with natural sweets such as Bananas, Strawberries, Cherries, Apples, Oranges, Kiwi, and on and on. Fruit is just as good with the sweet tooth and health at the same time. But enjoying a king size candy bar once in awhile won't kill you... Unless you have gestational diabetis then talk to your doc bout sweets.... Good Luck
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 11:01 PM on May. 31, 2009

• lol you guys are too nice.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:01 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Frozen bananas can make a great substitute when you're craving ice cream, I still always have frozen bananas in the freezer, they're good!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Try something that will also give you OTHER nutrients you need...but still the sweets =)

Honey Bunches of Oats (the cereal) has one that has little chocolate pieces in it...so you get the grains & whatnot, but that little hint of sweets too! Or try whole wheat toast, but with a little cinimon sugar on it. Or if it's meal time, one of my favorites is skinless chicken breast with an orange glaze (which is sweet, but not too sweet)...that way you get your protein too!

Good luck mama, I know sometimes that sweet tooth gets extra bothersome, but that doesn't mean you have to overdo it in the other areas too (say, a 1/2lb of zucchini) just remember what you DO need & indulge here & there...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:19 PM on May. 31, 2009

• 1/2 pound of zucchini is a small zucchini! i could eat a pound easy.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:24 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Oh I apologize if you took that as a rude comment, I just noticed that you said you still want the chocolate so I thought you were trying to substitute the sweet craving with EXTRA veggies, I was not aware that was a regular serving for you I apologize.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:30 PM on May. 31, 2009