How much for a dog's broken leg?

Our dog just got hit by a car and looks like her leg is broke. Does anyone have a ball park figure for how much it costs for a dogs broken leg? I know each area is different, but I just wanted to get an idea. We take our dog in the morning. Thanks!!! I feel so bad for her.

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 10:58 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Pets

• uhm, do you not think it should go in tonight?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:59 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Um, we called the vet and they told us to bring her first thing in the AM. It looks to be only her leg. My Husband talked to the vet for about 10 min. She asked questions and He told her about the injury. She said if she happens to get bad to take her, but it sounds like a Broken leg. SO before you judge, get a grip!!! We aren't stupid...
    DAH02

Answer by DAH02 at 11:10 PM on May. 31, 2009

• lol
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:53 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I would say for just a simple break or fracture and a cast put on could run about 500 to couple thousand if it needs surgery.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I don't know about a dog, it may be more complicated, but I had a cat with a broken leg and it was fixed for a total of $280. for everything including follow-up checkup.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• When we got our puppy he had previously broken his leg and because the people didn't do anything it did not set right. He got an infection in the bone and because of this the leg had to be amputated. It cost us over $1200 for a puppy we had only had for 4 days.
    I promise I am not judging but I would be concerned that your vet was not concerned that an infection would settle in overnight. But I am no vet.
    Please let me know how your dog is doing! I know it has to be just heart breaking.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I can't believe you didn't haul ass in there right away, or find a place to take her-please go break your leg and wait overnight for treatment. Please. Really.

But that out of the way-it depends on the break. Surgery, up to 8 thousand, easy. No surgery, it can be as simple as 500...it's so hard to tell.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 11:31 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Our dog is doing well. NO INFECTION SET IN!!!! The vet obviously knew what they were doing otherwise I think they would have asked us to bring her in immediately. Like I said before, I am not dumb. She has 2 fractures and will have a splint for 3 weeks. Thankyou for the non-judgemental people that just answered my question....
    DAH02

Answer by DAH02 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Ummm....no infection has set in YET. It does not always occur immediately. Thanks for the update on your dog and I'm glad that she has been splinted. I am not saying at all that you are dumb....but I would not have made my dog wait until the next morning for a broken leg, any more than I would make my child....they are furry children to me.

I say yet, because infection is not always immediate and it is not always obvious. It could still possibly develop....that part remains to be seen.

I just got my dog out of the hospital after a one-week stay with a bacterial infection of the spine. Vet says that it is blood-borne and that it would be nearly impossible to determine where it was picked up....could have been something as simple as a small thorn pricking the paw while on a walk at the park near where another infected dog spent time.
    Anonymous