Is it wrong to let your children stay up late?

so that you can sleep in in the morning? I dont mean super late. But maybe 30 minutes or an hour past their regular bedtime.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wrong? No.
    But I've found it doesn't work. If I put my daughter to bed a little late for whatever reason, she ALWAYS wakes up EARLIER the next morning. Then she's extra, extra cranky the next day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i do it allll the time, even tho it doesnt work. my boys still get up at 6:30.....
    zachnsalsmommy

Answer by zachnsalsmommy at 11:15 PM on May. 31, 2009

• if that actually worked for my daughter i'd do it. but it doesn't if she doesn't get in bed by 10 at the latest (bed time is 9 but even if shes up til 10 shes up at 8) she wakes up every couple of hours all night so it kinda backfires
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:17 PM on May. 31, 2009

• It seems like it would, in theory, but actually they don't sleep near as well if they are over-tired.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:21 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i dont, They need the sleep at this age and letting them stay up the woul cause problems to the child if they stay up
    handymanny

Answer by handymanny at 11:24 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Unless you're farmers, there's no reason for them to be going to bed early enough to get up with the sun. If you are in fact an agricultural family, then you should probably make sure they can get up in time to milk the cows.

In other words, there's no reason to stick to a schedule for no other reason than because you think it's what you're supposed to do. If it works for your family, awesome. But there is nothing inherently wrong with being flexible with bedtimes if it works better for your family. I personally don't even consider half an hour to be a big change. Then again, we're one of the families who find that being extremely flexible with bedtimes works best for us all.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:32 PM on May. 31, 2009

• If it works I say go for it. My kids get up at 6am no matter what time they go to bed. As soon as the sun starts peeking through the shades they are awake (or at least one of them wakes up and then they just HAVE to wake all the rest of the kids because they are lonely). Usually they are asleep by 8pm and get up at 6am. Tonight they were still up around 10pm (being big pains in my butt) and they will still be up at 6am with almost 2 hours less sleep and significantly more cranky and whiny. Luckily they have school so I won't have to listen to it until they get home at 2:30.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:59 PM on May. 31, 2009

• We do it with our boys mainly on Friday night. It works with them. I guess it all depends on your child it sounds like. Our boys who are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 usually are in bed between 8:30 and 9:00. On Friday they will stay up until 9:30-10 and they then sleep in until about 9:30 or so instead of their normal 8am rising. Our oldest then doesn't need a nap on saturday and the youngest we have take a shortened nap so they are back to normal bed time saturday night to wake up for church on sunday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• we have a schedule, but it isn't followed to a T. there isn't an urgent need for them to go to bed on time until they are in school, then i will be enforcing bedtime more strictly so they can be rested for school the next day. even if i let them stay up late, joke's on me. around here 'sleeping in' is 7:30 at the latest.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I do it on the weekends. My daughter WILL sleep in a little later, heck sometimes she'll keep sleeping if i don't wake her up. But when i do that, it's harder to get her to sleep on sunday night, she'll lay in her bed for a while before she falls asleep, I hate that. She has to get up early on Mondays, so getting her to sleep at a good hour on sunday is important.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2009