starting a day care and have 4 dogs (pit bulls)...can you give your advice?

ok so i am starting a day care and i have 4 pit bulls. i have a huge yard and the dogs are in a completely enclosed chain link fence. i mean top, sides and even trenches dug under gate and filled with concrete to ensure they can not dig their way out. we will also be double gating it with a 4 ft picket fence to ensure that the kids can not put they're hands in the chain link. the dog run is about 100 to 120 ft from the back door and they play area will be on the side of the house about 200-225 feet from the dog run. my question is with the all the precautions we have taken would you let your children go to my day care given that every thing else about it you loved but hated the fact that i had pit bulls? i know there are some of you that are going to want to answer in a rude manner...if so hold your breath. my dogs are great and i know that ALL animals carry a possibility to "attack" not just pit bulls. thanks in advance!

rachelmm007

Asked by rachelmm007 at 11:28 PM on May. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly I personally don't like any dogs. little, big doesn't matter i'm just not a dog person. However, I would have no problem leaving my son with you as long as you were licensed. I would be more concerned with the care he was receiving from you then the pets you had in your back yard that he would never have contact with,
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• i guess for me it would depend on if i knew you. personally i wouldn't let my child attend any day care of be watched by anyone with animals if i didn't know the person well. that would tell me how they treat the animals and how they were raised. so if i were you i would start by getting people you know to take their kids to you and offer discounts or something if they recommend you to someone else. that way you can have people who know you vouching for you.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• if i had a choice of another daycare WITHOUT four dogs, regardless of the breed (pitbulls isn't going to help you no matter how nice your dogs are), i would pick them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Have you been licensed? That would be a bigger concern for me than the dogs.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 11:34 PM on May. 31, 2009

• i im in the process of starting it...so no i am not currently licensed but will be licensed, insured, and cpr/first aid certified.
    rachelmm007

Answer by rachelmm007 at 11:42 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I'm not being rude, but there is no way I would EVER allow my children to go to a daycare with 4 pitbulls. I was attacked by a golden retriever when I was younger and that dog was very kind and gentle and never bit anybody until me. And no I was not provoking the dog. I was playing ball with him and when I went to grab the ball he attacked me and damn near killed me. It was a big legal mess and when I turned 18 I got loads of money.
    If you do have this daycare make sure those children are safe. My experience messed me up...
    Anonymous

• anon...sorry that happened to you! my reason for opening a day care is not for making money its purely for having a nurturing, SAFE place for your children. I have stayed home with my kids simply because there is NOBODY not even family i can trust with my kids. i would never put any child in danger, and i will stress that to all the parents.
    rachelmm007

Answer by rachelmm007 at 11:53 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I would rather my children not go to a place that has dogs of any kind. All dogs can be unpredictable.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I have a pitbull, and he is great with kids, but Ive had him ever since he was 6 weeks old.
    i would probably ask....... have your dogs been around kids much? How much contact would the kids have with the dogs? I would like to meet them myself. You know just regular daycare research about your daycare. So, it would probably be a maybe for me or depends.
    but seriosly most people/ mothers would probably just say no because of the breed. I know i just walk down the block with my pit and people just cross to the other side of the side walk without even asking if he bites or if they could walk by me, so you might have a bit of trouble.
    NATI2124

Answer by NATI2124 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i would not take my kids to a daycare that had ANY dogs. but especially one with pits. i have known many pits that were very loving and kind till they came into conntact with a child, for some reason this breed and kids dont mix kinda like dalmations and kids dont mix.
    2barnettkids

Answer by 2barnettkids at 1:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2009