How do I stop my son from bitting his nails?

I don't know where my 2-year old gets it from, nobody I know does this, but he won't stop bitting his nails! I tried the nail polish stuff but that almost encourages him to do it more...he likes it although I think it's GROSS! I haven't cut his nails in almost 2 months because every time I go to do it he has bite them all off!

Any suggestions?

EBeauty03

Asked by EBeauty03 at 11:30 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If i am not mistaken i think (sorry, i only know the word in spanish) it aloe. its green big and almost flat. it leaves a sour taste in your mouth for a while. You can put that on the tips of his finger, and trust me he will not like that nasty taste. I used to do that when i was little and thats what my mom did. it worked
    NATI2124

Answer by NATI2124 at 11:59 PM on May. 31, 2009

• You can't really. You can try to keep his hands busy but any quiet moment or when he's under a little extra stress and he'll be chewing again. There are devices you can clamp over his hands to keep him getting to his thumbs but most kids quickly learn to defeat them.
    Over time he will outgrow it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• try tabasco

Answer by rkoloms at 11:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2009