If you believe all paths lead to the same Divine truth...

This question is for those who find wisdom in many faith traditions -- UUs, eclectic Pagans, etc.

Do you sometimes find it difficult to have "one path" that you commit to, knowing that all faiths speak the same truths and are, at the same time, prone to the same kinds of human error?

Do you find the one that speaks the "language" that resonates most with you, and follow it while accepting the validity of other paths?

Do you avoid having one disciplined religious expression, intentionally pulling from many practices and religions - considering yourself to be many religions simultaneously?

Do you feel scattered, like you'd like a single path to focus on? Do you feel drawn to a particular path, but feel that you can't commit to it because that would be denying other paths?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 11:44 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It took me years to understand that I do have "one path" but it is uniquely mine and will not look like anyone else's. I think everyone has their own unique path to follow, even if part of their path is well trod. That's why there are so many to choose from. If one belief system worked for everyone, there would be no need for so many ever changing variations.

I used to feel frustrated because no one religion seemed to fit my experiences. I tried on several different labels over the years but I always felt boxed in, confined..not whole...like I was denying part of Who I Am. When I went to the opposite extreme and refrained from using any labels, I felt scattered, unfocused. Now I see being multireligious as a positive...kind of like being multilingual. You can express yourself in any language, but sometimes a word or phrase from one language just works better than another. So, now I just do what works for ME & don't stress.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I pulll beliefs from different "religions" that fit more what I believe. I am weird that way I guess. I have been studying Celtic tales and fairy folklore recently, and I have been finding that I agree with alot of the morals behind the tales. In fact, if you haven't already, I suggest you read the story of Oisin, Collinsky. I think you'll like it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:58 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Funny you should mention that, Ashley - Celtic is the way I've been drawn lately, and that is naturally on my reading list! I'll have to see if I can get hold of it sooner.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Seems that you have alot of questions. I hope this helps.

http://www.carm.org/religious-movements/wicca

Blessings!
    John 3:16
    JCRestoredme
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:13 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Do you sometimes find it difficult to have "one path" that you commit to, knowing that all faiths speak the same truths and are, at the same time, prone to the same kinds of human error?
    nope, I walk the "one path" that works best for me

I have a foundation in Christianity, it is the religion I most understand, so that's (part of) why I call myself a "Christian Universalist"

i just do what works for me.

no - i know what works for me
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I believe all paths are equally valid, but I don't have any trouble knowing which path is mine, if that makes sense. Sure, I pull from other religions now and then, but my faith is rooted in the Abrahamic faiths, predominantly Christianity, with a good deal of Islam thrown in (they're quite similar anyway). But I don't see it as different paths or that I'm being in pulled in different directions, I just realize that I've found the path that fits me best.
    I hope that makes sense....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• May I suggest Celtic Tales by Barbara Leonie Picard. She presents the tales in the oldest form that she can find. She gives a little history before each one as well. I just finished it and found the tale Oisin, Son of Finn Mac Cool intriguing. It speaks to the way all the Celts would have originally looked at Christianity.

-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• that, and i do see all religions as part of a whole, and i see how they fit together, so IMO, they compliment each other, rather than being contradictory paths. you could say the paths, IMO, quite often overlap, if that makes any sense....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• JCrestoredme, I'm not sure how that was an answer to even one of my questions... and I'm not even a little bit Wiccan. It didn't even begin to address being eclectic or pulling from many sources of wisdom in your faith.

Really, the only people qualified to intelligently answer any of them are the people I stated the question was for: those who believe all paths lead to one truth. My curiosity is about their experience of their own eclecticism. If you don't even understand the context of the question, odds are you should be taking the role of an asker, rather than an answerer.

Please don't assume that non-Christians or universalist Christians or UU Christians aren't as well versed in the Bible and apologetics as you are... if not more so. Our faith isn't because we just don't know any better LOL... I know that's hard to understand and probably pointless to say to you. Perhaps in a few years it will make more sense to you.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would be the type of person you're describing. In my heart I believe that there is something. I know that I've felt it in my life. I grew up around Christianity, but I can't call myself Christian because they say I'm not a real Christian if I don't believe everyone who doesn't call God "Christ" is going to Hell.

I think whatever It is out there has many names. I would like to feel closer to It, but so far I haven't found the right path to It.
    moonlitfairy

Answer by moonlitfairy at 1:20 AM on Jun. 1, 2009