Two foreign languages at once??

I know that it's not necessarily commonly done - even teaching one foreign language isn't as usual at this age as it should be IMO - but is there any reason, educationally, that this should not be done? I believe I read somewhere that as long as the languages are not related languages that it is fine to do this (so you wouldn't have your 6 yo learning Spanish and Italian, but Spanish and Chinese would be fine.)

My Dd wants to learn two languages - one she takes for granted as the whole family studies it, the other is purely her own interest - and I've not been pursuing it much because I didn't want her to get confused. I'd love to let her learn it though, and am just not sure if I need to make her wait. My gut says go for it... just looking for advice, resources, experience.

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 11:51 PM on May. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't see a problem as long as she's not getting confused or frustrated. In fact, grasping one language can REALLY help you understand your own language as well as learn other languages more quickly. I think it is a great idea.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My kid is learning Latin and Spanish at the same time. I say go for it, they are sponges when they are little, they will soak up language so much easier than if you wait until they are older.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:57 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I'd say let her do it! I think it's perfect!! My duaghter is learning sign language and czech. Sometimes we'll throw some spanish in there for common words (and she watches dora a LOT). My husbands son (who was adopted out) was taught czech and english by 2 and now knows spanish as well... he's almost 6.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My French teacher in college was Arabic, and his wife was from the U.S. They spoke French as a family, he spoke to the kids when he was with them in Arabic, and she spoke to them in English when she was with them. So their kids were young and fluent in all three.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If she WANTS TO then go for it. if you see she is having problems then you can stop one.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009