i need help i don't know what to do.......

my 11 day old gets constipated all the time and i have to be stimulating her every 2 days cause she just wont go, and she screams like it really hurts her, i'm breastfeeding her and also i changed her milk from similac advance to similac sensitive and still she always gets constipated! it gets me sad not knowing what else to do!

maryfer

Asked by maryfer at 11:52 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try the similac alimentum the one help my boy and also put some karo syrup
    evelyn334

Answer by evelyn334 at 11:54 PM on May. 31, 2009

• so that syrup is for constipation? and also how do you use it? how often and how much?
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 11:56 PM on May. 31, 2009

• so you are breastfeeding and using a bottle? I f he is only 11 days he could go a week without pooping. If it seems like he is in pain then you can try and give him some water. rub his tummy and back. I would wait at least a week before giving sopositorys. If it seems really bad call your doctor otherwise just hold strong it will be ok!
    milf661

Answer by milf661 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• add just about a teaspoon in with the formula. Mix it in and it should help with constipation...Good luck
    GmaPam7257

Answer by GmaPam7257 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It's the Dark Karo Syrup that you use and when I used it I did like a teaspoon or 2 in a 4 oz. bottle, it does not work immediately but it does work. Also try different formulas, there could be too much iron in what you are using. Also not all babies have to poop everyday if she's went like 3 days without and is irritable then you can help her out but otherwise babies do not poop like we do. They empty out there whole colon when they poop so it takes them a while to get it all built up and ready to poop, adults just empty out what's in their rectum. That's what my dr. told me when I asked about my daughter. We ended up finally that Good Start supreme (orange can) worked the best and no more pooping problems!! Good luck
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 12:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• why are you breastfeeding && giving him formula?? Is there some medical reason why you have to?? anyway, as far as the Karo goes, you put one teaspoon in each bottle of formula, as needed. you can do it as often as every bottle or as little as you want. Also, you can try some infant suppositories.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I had to give my boys soy formula (similac isomil) and that really helped with the constipation. You could try that and cut dairy out your diet since you are also breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Are you sure she is constipated? Are her poops hard little balls when they come out?
    The reason I ask is because it's normal for a baby not to poop every day of even everyother day. A breastfed baby can go up to 2 WEEKS and not poop and it's normal... a formla fed baby can go 3 days without worry. My son was getting both breastmilk and formula and went only once/week and it's fine.
    Also young babies will grunt, and push, trun beat red and sometimes even cry when the poop and it's normal... it's because they don't really know HOW to poop yet and it takes a lot of work... but it doesn't mean they are constipated.
    Don't give Karo syrup... it has the same risks as honey.
    Just let her poop when she wants to poop. If she has true constipation then talk to her pediatrican on what they want you to do.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• BF babies don't poop often and your BM and formula both have iron. When I had to supplement I was given low iron formula so it wouldn't cause constipation.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• They are only constipated if it is hard poop, don't worry if it is soft. Their bodies are still figuring out what to do. Its normal to not go every day or even every week in the beginning. I was told not to use Karo by my pedi.
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 1:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2009