Do you think it's ok for me to walk in front of my house in the mornings while my kids are asleep

I'm trying to loose weight and I'd like to walk in the mornings and evenings. I live in a very small town. Do you think it would be ok for me to walk in the mornings before my children wake up if I only go as far as my neighbors houses on either side? Our houses are like 10 feet apart. I would be walking on the road in front of my house. My house sits about 25 foot from the road. If my children woke up all they would have to do is come to our dining room window and wave for me to see them. My mother is worried I'll get run over ar something and they'll be all alone. They are 8, 5, and 3. I would walk for 30, maybe 45 mts. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on May. 31, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• just in front of your next door neighbors house and back, back and forth? i'd do it (if it didn't make me feel like an idiot walking back and forth lol).
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think that is totally fine! the 8 year old should be able to take care of the other two and know what to do if anything happened. If you can still see your house your fine just lock the doors and take the key with you.
    milf661

Answer by milf661 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• try craigslist.org for a free treadmill too
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• if its just back and forth no biggie. you can still see them if you can see through the window. i would make sure the 3 yr old can't get out of his/her room b/c they can get into all kinds of trouble and decide not to wake the other kids.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I guess it depends on the person if you have been doing this for awhile I don't see why not.
    what do you do when it rains?

Try getting a cheapy treadmill so you can stay indoors.

that way you can make your mom happy and the kids wouldn't have to wonder where you are at the moment :) Keep up with the walking though even if you have to walk in place :)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I dont see it being a problem.. I know as a new mom I wanted to sunbath outside & swim while dd slept (had a baby monitor on her so i could hear when she woke up) it was so hard! i only did it a few times..
    -If they have a good sleeping pattern then great! Just come in before you know they will wake up!
    - The 8yr old would be FINE.. The 5&3yr old depend on their own personality. Do they wake up & search for you or wake up & look for trouble? lol...
    - Use a baby monitor. it may go out at the ends of your walk. but atleaste every few minutes you can hear a few seconds of your house.
    -can you use a baby gate to keep the 3yr old in his room/safe part of the house?
    -can you tell your kids if they dont see mommy to come to window/ go to 8yr old...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yep its fine. If you went OUT OF VIEW then there'd be a problem.

Happy walking :-)
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• id be afraid that one of the younger ones would wake up before the 8 year old and something bad could happen. please be careful.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Staying in front of the house is great idea. Don't use baby monitor though, not enough range. Teach oldest one to use walkie talkie...lock all doors, take key with you, try to find way to keep youngest from getting out of room. All great ideas. Call your mother before & after each walk so she doesn't panic &/or call the house while your outside & teach oldest to either not answer phone at all or to tell them your busy & will call them back in few minutes if it does ring while your outside or turn ringer off so it won't wake the kids while your out & you wont have to worry about them answering it. Also teach oldest one important #'s ( have them listed nearby) so if you dont return for whatever reason or something happens she can call someone for help. (gramma, dad at work,911, etc...Good luck.
    3Dani75

Answer by 3Dani75 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2009