Baby on the way and a jealous dog...

I have a 5 year old cockapoo who demands alot of my attention. I'm concerned how she is going to react when I bring my new baby home. Does anyone have any tips on things I can do from now until the birth that may help her to adjust? Thanks!

Cupcake775

Asked by Cupcake775 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Pets

• take away any stuffed toys, or start to teach her the difference between hers and babies. start messing with her like a toddler would (pull tail, legs, get in her face while eating etc...so that shes used to it) refuse to pet her for about 10 mins at certain times of the day. (like every few hours if she wants constant attention for 2 hours, after an hour and a half leave her be that way shes used to you having to tend to baby) when you have the baby have dad or someone bring something home that smells like the baby for her to sniff and get used to, then when the baby comes home, don't immediately start cuddling baby, let someone else do that while you play with the dog for a bit, and let the dog sniff baby out, just hold the baby and have someone else hold the dog or vice versa that way if the dog doesn't react well you can pull both away quickly. all these worked for my dog he was about a year old when we brought our CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• home shes now 3 1/2 and they are best friends. i brought the second home last weekend, hes 10 days old, and petrie (my dog) could care less, he sniffed him a few times and just went on his merry way.
    vabchmommy

• Thank you! I will try that!
    Cupcake775

Answer by Cupcake775 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• ya when i was pregnant, my doctor told me to do that same stuff, and then once i had my daughter, i had my mom bring my dog the hat that she was wearing for the first few hours of her life. to let my dog sniff it out,and whatnot, then we gave him one of the receiving blankets as well...
    my dog also coulda cared less..lol..and was perfectly fie when i got to bring DD home!!..good luck!!

alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:20 AM on Jun. 1, 2009