What's the diference between a

witch and a wican? Is there one? I'm just curious.

NicMorgan

Asked by NicMorgan at 12:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes there is a difference. Wicca is a religion. Witchcraft is using spellcraft, and is not a religion
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I don't know all the details.....but I know Wiccan is a religion. A witch is the general term for someone who can use magic (or magick) to exert their will. There are Wiccan witches, Pagan witches, Satanist witches, and even atheist witches. (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.)
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Simply put Wicca is a religion and witchcraft is a practice. Not all Wiccans practice witchcraft.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Others will probably answer this more articulately, I'm tired tonight! But: a Wiccan is asomeone who believes certain things: that there is a God and a Goddess, for one. It is a specific religious path. Many Wiccans choose to be called Witches, and do practice some form of witchcraft.

A "witch" is simply someone who practices witchcraft, who can hold any religious views - one god, one goddess, many gods, no god, everything is god, etc etc. It depends on the witch.

Wicca is a religion. Witchcraft is a practice.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• LOL pwnmom, we posted at the same time!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I am a Witch, but not a Wiccan. I believe in a Goddess and a God, I don't do a lot of spells or magic crafting, I guess you'd call it. Actually I consider myself a Celtic Norse Green Witch, the deities I mostly look to are The Dagda, Brigit, Odin and Freya.

So NicMorgan? Did any of us help? Or did we confuse you even more? Some of us are in a Religious Tolerance group on CM...you're welcome to join and ask anything you want. We have moms of many faiths there.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Get out of my head....LOL
    Great minds think a like :)
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• As the others said, Wicca is a religion...Witchcraft is a tool used by some Pagans in connection with their beliefs.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:24 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• yep.

a witch does not have to be wiccan...and some wiccans do not do any spellcraft but just believe
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Witchcraft is a practice, not a religious belief. Wicca is considered by most to be a belief system and not all of them practice witchcraft. This is why I can be an atheist belief-wise and still practice the Craft.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2009