Why did my twins' epic meltdown have to end up with the cops being called?

We went to a grocery store in a rather upscale neighborhood after a pleasant dinner with our 5 y. o. twins. In the jewelry/cosmetics aisle DDs launched in to the most epic fit I have ever seen in my life. High, loud screaming, grabbing things off shelves, etc.

Normally my MO is to apologize, clean up the mess and go home. Today it was so bad that people were taking cellphone video and pictures of me as I was trying to get them out of the store, in the parking lot.. They fought with me over the car doors, I snapped and spanked one of them: 2 swats to the behind.

A woman (no kids near her, groceries for one) comes over to me and starts chastising me about being an abusive mom. I told her I was tring to get home to defuse it and she accused me of child abuse, called the cops, meanwhile she refused to let me by as my kids got out of the car and ran into the lot. She accused me of fleeing "the scene" when I turned on the A/C.....

phoenix101

Asked by phoenix101 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need a drink woman. :(
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think I would of hit the old bat , hay if she called the cops I would of atleast give them a good reason for coming out. I think that is a big problem now days is people butting in when it is none of their buisness.Hope your day got better
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 12:20 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• And to continue.. I was "fleeing the scene" for turning on the car for my kids on a hot day. She started in on "you're not going to abuse your kids ANY MORE" (WTF, I don't even know this woman, not my side of town...)

We waited until the police arrived, and the officer was apologetic but said, because he was called out, he would have to make a report and I'll probably be getting a call and/or visit from Social Services in the next week or so. Although also mentioned in his report that my kids were neither malnourished nor had any marks on them, so it's possible I won't get a report.

I came home, put the twins in their rooms for some quiet time, and proceeded to have a massive emotional breakdown. I don't spank my kids unless it's a FINAL resort, when nothing else has worked, there was NO getting past the tantrum today without it. The kids who really do need someone to help... I get cops called for 2 swats on the rear.
    phoenix101

Answer by phoenix101 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• is there a question??? lol but i dont see why you let her stop you. i would have pulled them both by the leg to the car. child locked the doors so they couldnt get out and left. lol
    a_casias

Answer by a_casias at 12:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would have pressed charges for child endangerment against her. You trying to get your kids home and her preventing you from getting to them in a parking lot is extremely dangerous. I am so sorry you went through that. I think most of us would not have done that we would have helped you. HUGS.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• :20, thanks, really. You've got to believe I was considering going ahead and being booked for assault as well so my kids could at least go home. I told the woman "I'm trying to resolve this and you're cornering me." and she said "I'm not CORNERING YOU, I WANT YOU TO STOP HITTING YOUR CHILDREN." (she said, as she stood on the back of my station wagon).
    phoenix101

Answer by phoenix101 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• a_casias: I didn't leave because a) she was standing behind my wagon and b) she reported me by license plate number. I got my comeuppance when the officer told her the law and she left all in a huff that I didn't get hauled off in cuffs.
    phoenix101

Answer by phoenix101 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Oh that reminds me of the time my 6 and 3 yrs old turned over the shopping cart at Aldi's , things went every where .. It wasn't their fault and I didn't get on to them but just stood there with pancake syrup running between my toes. I'm sure your day was much worse
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 12:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Wow i can't belive the nerve of some people. 2 swats on the butt ain't that bad. I wish people would just people would butt out of other people business. i hope evering worked out fine. In stead of the way she asked she should have been more polite about it and ask if you need help or something, not call the cops. I had the cops called on me one, they heard a man yell and a child scream. My son tripped and dropped his cup, and we were yelling for my son to get in the house. but their are other kids in the area so it might have not be us but they came to our door. that really bothered me. good luck with everything
    Alisa25472

Answer by Alisa25472 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• some people need to get a life, and more then likely she was not even a mother. a lady followed me around wal mart one time yelling at me becuase i refused to pick and carry my 1 1/2 year old screaming boy.....................i was 8 1/2 months preg, there was no way i could carry him through wal mart, besides he was not in need of cuddling, he was mad i would not buy him a toy, she told me i was a terrible mom and so on.
    i also had a neighbor call DHS on me and report me for child abuse one time becuase they didnt like that my 2 year old daughter was always naked.............. you could not keep clothes on this child. it was an oklahoma summer, which is ungodly hot.
    yeah DHS got a good laugh over taht one, but scared the hell outta me also when they showed up at my house
    2barnettkids

Answer by 2barnettkids at 1:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2009