Are humans superior?

How many of you believe that humans are NOT superior to other life on this planet? Does your religion teach that, or is that just a conclusion you came to on your own?

I was thinking this last night while taking the dog for a walk. I don't believe we are superior. I don't understand people who do (besides that their religious text tells them). We are so weak and small compared to other forms of life. Look at a tree, even. They are so much bigger and stronger. They can withstand all the things nature throws at them without any kind of shelter. Some have been known to live for over 1000 years! And look at tiny forms of life too. When plankton blooms in the Pacific ocean, the population is so enormous, that you can see them from space! Humans really are minute compared to other things...the only "power" we have is to destroy our own environment to the point where it is even dangerous for us. How is that superiority

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We are not superior- cuz we are a PART of the web of life on this planet. Not the *top* just simply a part. When I am *gone* I will be part of that tree and part of the plankton... and that is what I am made up of now- *recycled* matter!! LOL So how can I be superior if our makeup is the same?
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I do NOT believe that humans are superior. And although there is no "religious" text i can refer to that implies this, it is deffinantly faith related. "And Ye Harm None" ...none. no one, no thing.
    We are all connected.

However, that being said. ...I need to find a way to keep the ants from getting into my house and if they wont stay out i must find a way to kill them in mass quantities. lol
    But, i try to teach my boys NOT to kill these things while we are outside. Because outside is their home and i'm trying to balance pest control and respect. lol.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• We are only superior in our intelligence, but even that can be questionable!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• So long and thanks for all the fish.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 1:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes. I believe we are superior. We are the only thing created in the image of God. But that doesn't mean that I don't find the rest of creation absolutely glorious.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:07 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• no, we are not superior, we want to think we are, but we are tiny specks of sand on a beach in the universe. us humans are nothing. tiny little nothings. i watch a lot of discovery and i love science. after learning about the universe and everything beyond earth, you cannot help but know you are tiny nothings in the universe. i personally like it. i'm one of the weirdos tho.
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 1:23 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• yes we are direct descendants of heavenly father and he made us from his own image. he is superior and he made us to be superior to everything else he planted in life. not equal too or lesser then. he gave us abilities that animals, plants etc can't do and one of those things is to love. animals don't really love their babies or friends they nature through instincts and develop strong attachments but they don't have the capability to love and think as we do.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My nine year old is fond of pointing out that humans are the only species that kills just to kill. (And he came up with that observation on his own.)

I think we have a superior intellect...well, at least I will think that until the dolphins and whales figure out a way to make us understand them....but I think too many of us don't know how to use that intellect.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• We don't even know what all life is on this planet. They keep discovering new kinds everyday. But meanwhile, we're hardly as adaptable as other life - look at a virus. It learns how to survive and reproduce without killing the host. It takes time, but eventually, it learns it. And in the meantime, everytime we through a cure at a bug, it mutates 8 new ways. This is an organism that is exponentially simpler in construction than a human, yet has a far more likely chance of species survival than we do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Answered at 1:07 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 by: Cinnamon-mom Yes. I believe we are superior. We are the only thing created in the image of God. But that doesn't mean that I don't find the rest of creation absolutely glorious.

Yes we are. I agree with Cinnamon-mom
    ifollowjesus

Answer by ifollowjesus at 4:24 AM on Jun. 1, 2009