ok, so am i weird?

my little guy is 10 days old, and he pulls his legs out of the pants part of his sleepers so last night i decided to put him in the gowns. and it feels kinda weird putting him in a night gown, i'm guessing its partially b/c my 3 yr old daughter was like mommy boys don't wear dresses. but even before she said that i hadn't wanted to use them b/c well its a gown, hes a boy. i know he's only 10 days old which is why he's wearing it now and did last night, b/c hes more comfy that way, otherwise he's been waking up at night either not being able to move his legs b/c they were stuck from pulling them outta the leg or b/c he has both his legs into one of the legs of the sleepers. so am i the only werido? did/does anyone else feel this way? just curious...and bored waiting for him to wake up for this bottle so i can get some sleep...

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 12:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, it's not weird. Up until a couple generations ago, the clothes for babies was all just generic baby clothes, same for girls and boys. It's pretty recent that we make it a gender issue from birth. If something works better and makes more sense: go for it!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:43 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• All three of my boys wore gowns as newborns. My BIL would not allow my sister to put her boys in gowns, they were boys God dammit!
    I think that they make the for boys and girls, they are the most logical thing to put on them at that age.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i get that, but i just feel weird putting him in a gown since hes a boy. and i'm the one that told hubby to get over it when he ends up playing with dolls (know he will b/c we have a girl thats older so they are there to be played with kinda thing you know, so i was the one all you can't treat him any differently or freak b/c he plays with a "girl toy" and here i am feeling weird putting him in a gown) maybe i'll call it a sleep suit and then it won't feel so weird...
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• lol i thought it was wierd too but just think of it as him being more comfy and not waking up in the middle of the nught b/c he can't move and you dont have to get out of bed!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• all that matters is that he is comfortable and can get a good night sleep. my son worn the gowns that buttoned at the bottom. i never thought anything of it
    2barnettkids

Answer by 2barnettkids at 1:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• my son wore the gowns && it really didn't bother me to put them on him. My dad always made cracks about it being a dress, but I don't feel like it matters when they are so young. Plus, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to change their diaper in the middle of the night.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• along time ago all babies and adults wore gowns to bed but your not weird
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 2:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• The baby would feel uncomfortable wearing a sleeper that separates his legs. He is used to having his legs touch and being naked before he was born. You can buy sack-type sleepers for boys too, so he wouldn't be wearing a girl's gown. In the old days, boys didn't wear pants until they were potty-trained.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 3:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My ds had those sleeper gowns. He's now a very macho, strapping teenager. If it makes you feel any better, look at it this way, by letting him sleep in the gowns, you're making sure he's able to get a good rest so his little body can grow up big and strong :-)

As far as your dd goes, just explain to her that she's right, big boys don't wear night GOWNS, but BABIES do, and besides, it's not a night GOWN, it's a night SHIRT, just that this one goes all the way down his legs, because he's so little, and even some grownup men wear night shirts :-)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I put my son in them as well, and it made night diaper changes very easy. Also, you should try to sleep when he sleeps at night. With 2 little ones, I learned real fast. Get it when you can get it.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 4:35 AM on Jun. 1, 2009