Is there anyone out there who was in a relationship a couple of years before you got married?

If so! How long was you in the relationship before you got married!

And do you think that makes your marriage more solid when you wait longer?

OPINIONS PLEASE!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• i wasn't however i don't think that has affected our marriage any. we were together about 9 months before we got married, and have now been married 7 years. we've had our fights and disagreements but everyone who's married no matter how long they were together beforehand has arguments.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My DH and I have been married for 3 years. I was with my DH 2 years before we got married. But we have known each other since 4th grade. I most definatly think it make all the difference when you have a relationship before! I dont think anyone should ever jump into a marriage until they know the other person on a relationship kind of level.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• well were not married.. but we've been together for 6 yrs ... he's not ready for marriage yet.. psshht w/e! i'm so over it now that i dont even want to get married anymore common law.. is recognize in some states! lol
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My husband and I were together for 1 and a half years before we got married. We lived together for more then a year before we got married. We have a very very strong relationship he is honestly my best friend and the love of my life. We also went to school together and dated a little then but nothing serious. He graduated 3 years before me then once I graduated I moved and went to college and he ended up moving there to and we started talking and bam! So we had known each other for 7 years before we had gotten married to.
    kaitsmommy1008

Answer by kaitsmommy1008 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Well me and my fiance have been together for 2 and a half years. We were gonna tie the knot this fall but I found out that his insurance isnt that great so we are deciding to wait until money is better but waiting if anything will just insure that its the right thing to do for both of you
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I'm not married yet, but I'm gonna put my 2 cents in anyway lol. I believe that you should fully get to know someone before you get married. Now I don't think there is a set time you should be together for that to happen, but you shouldn't get married if you have any doubts. I'm not saying things will never change or whatever, but if you have doubts going into it, then you should wait a little longer. Personally, I just think that people should be sure, b/c I think the divorce rate is just to high. I've had 2 people tell me they wanted to marry me && one person actually bought an engagement ring for me, but I told him not to even ask me b/c I wasn't ready && I would just say no. Needless to say we are no longer together lol. But I just want to make 100% sure that I am ready before I take the plunge. Actually my current SO is the only one I have ever even considered marrying.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Highschool Sweethearts Here! Dated from 10th grade on.... 9yrs dating.... 1 yr married....
    Cant complain :) ..... We are 25&26 with a 2.5 yr old DD.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• We were together four years before we got married. I think it lets you really know each other better, and that's what's needed for a solid marriage.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I am 24 and have been with my SO for 10 years. We are going to be getting married at the end of June. I believe for us - nothing will change. We will still have our life that we have been living for ten years now. So, I believe it def. makes a relationship stronger!!!!
    USNmomwife

Answer by USNmomwife at 3:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• High School Sweethearts....dated from age 16......married now 8 years. We're both 32 this year. So 8 years before marriage. This anniversary we will have been together for half of our lives. LOL

I don't think it matters how long one is in a relationship before marriage. I don't feel that marriage is that big of a deal either. For us it's the strength of the commitment that matters, not a piece of paper. If our commitment wasn't strong, we would have broken up permanently a long time ago.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2009