• In the Spotlight:

So......how are the schools doing in your area?

I only ask because they are cutting teachers and staff big time here in California. Is the economy effecting your schools or is it just our Governor Schwarzenegger? I feel so sad about seeing teachers getting pink slips and being transferred.

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The school system here took a hit awhile back, My sons Math class had 40 kids in it. (no teachers aid, just the teacher) It does not help that the No Child Left Behind Act has been a joke either.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I live in Cali too Gigi. ...and it f*cking sucks.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Here in Washington they are talking about cutting teachers as well. They have already cut quite a few jobs. They are also talking about closing some schools. (We have TONS of brand spanking new schools!)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• IN OUR TOWN EXCELLENT WE HAVE ALL OUR AERT MUSIC ETC PROGRAMS AND WE RAISE ENOUGH MONEY EVERY YEAR ON THE PTA FUNDRAISERS WE HIRE NEW TEACHERS EVERY YEAR.(IM A MEMBER AND AN EX TEACHER) IN THE CITY NOT SO GOOD.
    RUSTI44

Answer by RUSTI44 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I just have to laugh at how the money they gave our schools 2 years ago HAD TO GO INTO WHAT IT WAS BUDGETED FOR! In other words, we knew they were a closing one of the elementary schools in a year but they still had to redo the plumbing and modernize it. Get rid of the asbestos and so on, only to lock the doors and abandon it. I swear, the government is soooo stoooopid! Now we have no money and are going to up the class size do that teachers spen most of their time disciplining and nit teaching. I know one thing. I will be the best volunteer in my sons class. I got a letter of "reasonable assurance" that my job will still be there. We'll see.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• We are fine here. I love our schools.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 1:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Ours WERE pretty bad off. They were not renewing contracts for over 500 teachers, and thinking about changing to a short school yr to save money, in addition to cutting PE, music, art, and changing the bus system. But then they got federal stimulus money which has made it possible for everything to remain the same. I know a lot of people are not happy about the stimulus money, but for this purpose, I am glad about it, b/c if they had made the changes they were talking about, my kids would have been getting homeschooled, even though I work full time.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2009