• In the Spotlight:

Help with formula!

My son who will be 4weeks this tuesday is currently on Enfamil Lipil w/iron. He seems to do ok with it, but sometimes it gives him really bad stomach gas. He cant even enjoy his bottle because hes squirmy and whinny and constantly tooting. Im thinking about trying that new Enfamil thats supposed to help with gas & fussiness, has anyone tried it?!

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son couldn't take any enfamil, he had to have similac.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My youngest had to be on Similac Advanced Early Shield. It helped with him constipation and gas
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• you could also try putting gas relief drops into the bottle when you give it to him. i like little tummies and the one that starts w/m can't remember the name off the top of my head but its a dark blue box w/a babies face on it. both of those worked for my daughter when she was gassy.
    if its bad it may be that he has an allergy and needs to be on a soy based formula. or it could also be the bottles you are using, have you tried changing bottles to a different type?
    my daughter also could not take similac, she had to be on enfamil or good start, similac made her constipated, so it may be the brand
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• my daughter was on enfimil but we wanted to be on wic so i had to change her to similac sensitive. I also used those playtex ventaire bottles... well, the same brand that makes the drop ins make these and they have a special vent on the bottom that REALLY REALLY helped my dd with her gas! I would try that and see... that new enfimil might work... idk
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My daughter was the same way!I got her similac soy.It did a really good job!Like the other moms said use the gas drops too.They really help.And sometimes it may not be the formula..It may be the bottles,or even if there too warm or to cold.There is may diff things that could be causing it so try diff things before you change it and it doesnt work.Here are some ideas.Use bottled water.The temp of the formula..Putting the gas drops in the bottle or even mouth.O and to help with the belly ach take and put a blanket in the dryer and then wrap him tight in it.And hold him tight to you,it will help push the gas out.
    Kaylinsmommy09

Answer by Kaylinsmommy09 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• thanks for all your help! Ive been using NUK bottles so far, its the only nipple i could get him to take. And yes we use gas drops like they are going out of style, i usually give them to him by mouth just incase he doesnt finish all of his bottle. I use bottle water and keep it room temp and dont warm them up (just bc thats what the hospital did when we were in there) But i will try other things before i switch him, im on wic too so hopefully ill find a good one if it comes to it! Thanks again!
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 5:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I use Enfamil Gentlease and it works great! Still lots of gas but less fussiness and pain. We tried the off brand (Parent's Choice at Walmart) which is $15 instead of $25 per can, but it made her constipated and more gassy and fussy. Off brand can work for your baby though. We also use gas drops and Ventaire bottles.
    leahs_mom_kate

Answer by leahs_mom_kate at 7:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2009