walking???

My daughter was a preemie. She was 2 months early. She just turned 14 months and just now started pulilng up on things. She cruzes once in awhile but not very often and does not stand yet. All of my friends and strangers look at me like I am bad mother because she isn't wakling yet. What do I do to get her to walk faster?! or Is she on track since she was 2 months early. I am always confused about these dates.

USNmomwife

Asked by USNmomwife at 1:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi I would not worry. My son was a month early and my doctor says always judge him a month later. So that would make you DD a 12 month old in development. I would share your concerns with you Doctor if you already have then please share it with us in an update post if you don't mind. Also try not to worry Mama I know easy said but your DD can sense that. When my DS takes a step (still though it is on the way down) we clap and cheer and make it a really fun time. Try this is you can it may give that extra push of encouragement. Take a deep breath I am sure you two have already been through a lot together since she was that early and I know what type of a bond that builds! Don't others judge her or you! Lot's of luck to ya :)

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 1:19 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My son did not start walking until after his first birthday. He was perfectly content to crawl around on the floor. I know with preemies you are supposed to deduct how early they were from their current age. Like the pp said, developmentally, she is a 12 month old. Drs say it is normal for kids to start walking all the way up to 15 months(well, my dr did when I asked at the one year well baby checkup). I wouldn't worry. You know you are not a bad mom. If people make comments just tell them you are letting her develop at her own pace and there is no need to rush. She will walk when she is ready. You can try things to encourage her to walk, but she will do it when she is ready. Keep your chin up mama, you are doing your best!! =)
    Galdarisimom

Answer by Galdarisimom at 1:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• it's normal but there are things you can do to help her along. when she pulls up on something, you can take her by the hands and let her take steps with you. && also you can buy those little high-top white shoes for her, they will help support her ankles && make it a little easier for her. or you could try encouraging her to take steps by holding her favorite toy && telling her to come get it
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Don't worry, it is what it is. As long as your daughter is healthy and happy that's all that you or anybody else could ask for. If she is pulling herself up and starting to move around like the couch, it's probably like a month away until she tries or is walking. You can encourage her to want to get up on things and move about with toys or what ever she is interested in by moving them about the couch and away from her so that she tries to move toward the item. Hold her hands and walk her around. I did this a lot with my son and he was walking full time at 11 months. I know that preemies are set back by a few months so be patient. If you are feeling that people are judging you just mention that she was a preemie, people will understand. Or don't worry and just be so proud of your beautiful girl who is growing so fast and is getting smarter and smarter :)
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 1:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My son was 6 weeks early and didn't walk until he was 16 1/2 months. He was just fine. Don't worry about it!
    Anonymous