• In the Spotlight:

A funny thing happened on my way to the bathroom....

Alex had just taken a shower and he was sitting on the couch in just his underwear and a shirt with this dumbfounded look in his face. He asked if he could talk to me and I said sure what's up. He looks down at his crotch and says you know. I thought he was trying to tell me is was red down there because he never wipes right. He says in the saddest voice "mom, I found hairs down there", I was trying to play it cool and just said "Really, OMG! cool, you're growing up" Deep down i am thinking WTH? I was 12 when I got a few. He was so upset about it and said he wasn't ready for that and he still wants to play and be a kid. As he said that I felt my eyes tear up and I told him "honey, just because your body is changing it doesn't mean you can't play anymore". I wept only because I realized...Damnit! they really do grow up whether we are ready or not. He is just a little boy to me. How have you handled kids going through puberty?

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 1:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My son is 10 and he's already getting armpit hair. Seems like its getting earlier and earlier these days. But my 12 year old still has not started puberty thank goodness! The 10 year old is still into toys and video games and playing, but the puberty bit doesn't bother him. My 12 year old is the same way, he could care less about girlfriends and such, he's just still into playing with his friends and watching tv and reading. I'm in no hurry for them to grow up either!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:32 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Oh Gigi, I can only imagine. I am sorry I have no words of wisdom, my boys are 10, 3, 16 months.
    Bug hugs, I am sure you are going to need them in the next few years.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• How old is he?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My DD was 12, almost 13 & we lived in a really small house with only one bathroom. I was taking a shower & she came in to pee. I heard this half scared, half excited squeal & asked what had happened. She said, "Mama, I'm a girl--what do you think just happened?!?!?!" Yep, first period. She will be 15 in a month & is taller than me & has bigger boobs than I do. It is hard to see your baby grow up right before your eyes but you will make it. It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your son so you are ahead of the game already.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Gigi we are never ready for our babies to grow up into young men or ladies. My son will be 14 next month and will be a Freshman next year. The other day I looked at him and just started crying, (he thought I was nuts, but oh well.) my baby only has 4 more years of school before he will leave and go to college.
    Whether we are ready or not they grow up and change so much. My son was so excited when he started getting "hair" down below and his pits started getting hair. He was proud as hell! What you really don't want to go thru is when your son gets an erection and he wears them damn nylon shorts and it is obvious. I have threatened to throw them away!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:57 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• He is 10 but he so not into the thought of getting older! Like my 12 year old neice who says 'she can't wait to have sex".
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Aww, funnyface and Ron, you made me feel so much better.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• No, no, no! My daughter has been expressly forbidden to get older than 3. And she always listens to mommy....
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Gigi your baby is 10. Enjoy the time you have with him before he wants to be a teenager. I wish mine was 10 again. I miss him being around all the time, not hanging out with his friends,or fishing with his buddies and not me :(
    And it's great that you and him have an open relationship. Boys need that with their moms, the relationship they have with their mom is very likely what they will have with their wife.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• lol, moon.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009