is 18months to late to start teaching baby signs?

my daughter just turned 18 months and she has a speech delay and i want to know if its too late to start teaching her baby signs she gets so upsets when i dont know what she wants and would like to teach her so she can tell me what she wants

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, it's not to late. There are some really great websites online. I used sign language with my son because I once saw this mother using sign language to talk to her infant daughter. I thought it was cool that she could do this. I did some research and found that babies are always using their own sign languages to try and talk. I used to teach and used sign language for some of my kids. You and your child will love this and although some say it will cause them a delay in talking, I disagree. My son talked but, if your child has a delay in some areas then I will not say your child will talk when ready. I am just telling you my experience. And please talk to your doctor about your concerns. Only you know what your child can and cannot do. I say go for it. It was a very positive experience for me and my baby. Might I add one more thing. Make signs for objects in your home. Repeat, point, repeat. Good luck.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:50 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't think so. Their brains are primed for learning from the time they are born until they are about 5. I would think anytime between there would be the easiest time to teach her.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would teach ASL though. In conjunction with her speech therapy it would be GREAT!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Its not too late. I started when my son was around 15 months old. He's 2 1/2, he knows a lot of signs but sometimes he needs reminded to use them. He mixes them up every once in a while too.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• No it's not too late... if you teach her ASL instead of the made up "baby signs," though, you'll be teaching her a true foreign language she can build on and use later. This will sound confusing, because I just said don't to "baby" signs... but I recommend the Baby Signing Time videos (and also the Signing Time ones) --despite what the name might suggest, they use American Sign Language.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I also recommend Signing Time videos. You can check them out at most libraries, and they are available for purchase on Ebay or on the Signing Time website.

I also like this site: http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

It's a sort of video dictionary for ASL.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• No! Dont get me wrong teaching at this age might take a little bit longer for her to catch on. But, I would teach her ASL like the mom above said, it can be useful in life later and is a ture language that could take her far in life. I started teaching my DD ASL at the age of 6 months she is two now, and she still is using and learning it today. Sometimes you have to remind her to use it...because she gets to worked up. But, it is a great way to clam them down..because they have to stop and think. or watch to pay atten. to what is being signed! GREAT way to AVOID the toddler fits and screms too!
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009