How do you wean without worry?

My little girl is 2. She still wants a bottle. However, she is not still relying completely on the bottle. She just will not drink milk out of a sippy cup. She will drink juice and water out of the cup, but when it comes to milk, she has to have a bottle. When I try to get her to drink milk out of the sippy cup, she throws tantrums. How do I remedy this?

nosoftkid24

Asked by nosoftkid24 at 2:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My policy has always been to never be impressed by tantrums. Let her have her tantrum...and don't let it get her anywhere.

I kind of like the Dr. Phil advice on tantrums...if it happens ina public place, the parent should take a few steps away and act as if she's part of the crowd, shaking her head and saying, "Isn't that a shame?"

When they get nothing for all that energy, they stop wasting the energy.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If she is two, she should be drinking water; there is not reason for her to be having cowmilk (unless she is a baby cow), so there is no reason to give her a bottle.
    Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2009