field trip..

My son is 5 and going on a class field trip to Sea World tomorrow. We had season passes last year so we've been a dozen times. Anyway, I'm really struggling with the safety of this venture. My daughter was in the same class last year and we kept her out on a "sick" day when this trip rollled around. But I felt like I insulted parents and the teacher after the fact. So this year we are letting our son go. I would've sign up as a volunteer parent for the trip but it filled up faster than I could react.. Anyway, my question is: should I just chill-out and hope he will be fine or scare the sh@t out of him with all the possible dangers he might face tomorrow?

scout575

Asked by scout575 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why are you so worried about what they think? It is your child and you are his only protector. If you don't think it is a good idea, skip it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It sounds like you may have some anxiety issues that you should discuss with a professional. Kids go on field trips; at our schools at least once a month.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My daughters school went to see Disney on Ice this year. I was a nervous wreck all day!! But she went, she loved it, and all the kids had a blast.
    If you're that scared about him going, you could talk to him about how important it is to stay with the class, don't talk to strangers, etc. I wouldn't scare him, but definitely talk to him about safety! Good luck! = )
    mrsDayne

Answer by mrsDayne at 6:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You can talk to your son about safety without "scaring the sh*t out of him". I dont think that the school would put children in jeapordy or harms way. Take a deep breath and know that your son will be fine.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:35 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If you don't feel good about him going without you, then keep him home. I understand! My daughter is in kindergarten too and I have chaperoned every single trip or she wouldn't be going. Some of her classmates mothers that weren't able to go would ask me to keep an eye out for their child (so they feel better about not being there). We did Sea World this year with her Daisy troop. It was a great time, but I wouldn't have let her go without me. Sure the chaperones are assigned a certain number of children to watch out for, but what if a child wanders off? What if it is your child that wanders off because they want to see something and think the group will just be right there? It didn't happen to us, but I have those thoughts. I also know for a fact that my child's kindergarten teacher does a constant head count. She actually does a head count so many times that it's annoying, lol. But do what feels right to you.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My other thought is that you probably can't chaperone because of a space issue, but what if you drove over (follow the bus) and meet them at the gate and join the group for the field trip. This is usually perfectly acceptable and you will only be responible for your own child.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• How many kids are in the class and how many chaperons ? I would want no less that 4 kids per adult personally but I can only imagine that the school has a safety plan in place. Talk to the teacher and she may be able to make you feel better. If nothing else exp[lain that you know that they are not in need of any more volunteers but you would prefer to accompany your child. Or as the above poster said see if you can meet them there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Relax, and if you cant, go in your own car lol
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 9:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2009