Type 2 diabetes/Insulin Resistant Metformin Users

Hello Moms,
During my very turbulent pregnancy with my son I at 6 months became disorientated and was rushed to the ER it came back that I had gestational diabetes and was experiencing low blood sugar. Later after my son was born I started getting shaky if I went to long (more than 4 hours) without eating. Now I have been diagnosed insulin resistant and today was put on Metformin ER 500MG I will eventually be taking this 4 times daily. I am overweight but I am working out 4 times a week and I am limiting my carb and cal intake but I am very hungry and overall unsatisfied and truthfully I am getting depressed about the whole thing. I was wondering if anyone else takes this medicine, does anyone have a success story, or good recipes? I am totally desperate any info would be great thank you so much for reading!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Health

• cont.
    ....nonfat sugar free yogurt, sugar free pudding....these will help keep you from feeling hungry and deprived. For lunches I usually have a HUGE chef salad with veggies, salad greens, sliced meats, boiled egg and dressing with 2 oz. cheese (not American or processed cheese) and then I stay full for at least 3 hours. Dinners are a lean meat, 2 to 3 cups of steamed veggies and a salad, and a dairy source. Absolutely no sodas or fruit juice!
    I have been following the South Beach plan. My doctor whole heartedly approved it for me. The first few days are HARD because it starts out very low carb and the body has to go through a carb addiction withdrawal, but once that was over with I felt GREAT! Then you would gradually add healthy carbs back to your diet. My fasting blood sugar reading was 344 the morning that I started on this plan and now it averages between 120 and 160. I was even able to reduce the dosage of my meds
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I am confused about a few things. I am very experienced with this as I developed the same thing.
    Do you have trouble with your blood sugar being high normally? If you are watching your carbs, be careful of your gall bladder. Make sure to drink enough water. (I ended up with mine out.) You can do the low carb thing, but just don't load up the fat. The ultimate thing is not that you can't have carbs because you are a "bad girl" and you just can't control yourself. You can think of it this way, you can't have carbs because your body is "allergic" for lack of a better term. You can't process them correctly. Just as a child who is allergic to peanuts would be kept away from them to maintain good health, you need to stay away from excess or wrong carbs for the same reason.
    You may find as you lose weight you become less resistant.
    Make sure they order all the metabolic panel and that you ask them to do vitamin levels on you.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Many of us have deficiencies in one or more vitamins. You should also have an autoimmune panel done to see if you have any "sister" auto immune diseases that seem to pop up with this. (Hypothyroidism, PCOS, Fibromyalgia.)
    Above everything...DO NOT GIVE UP.
    If you cut out sugar, you will find that in a week you will have a clearer mind, your mood swings will be lessoned and your cravings will be gone. It is very much like giving up cigs. It is hard work, but you can do it. You are not supposed to be hungry. If you are eating "properly" to the amount of calories and types of foods you are supposed to be having then it is the physical addiction of carbs that your body is still working out. Don't give in. Be strong. Hugs
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:34 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Thank you so much SusieD250 for your thoughtful response. As far as your question my blood sugars do not run hi I guess that is type II diabetes. However Insulin Resistance is all too often a precursor to type II. According to my lab results my pancreas has a hard time measuring/ producing insulin by the time it gets on board it dumps a load of insulin out about 3 times two much according to the lab test and then I get low blood sugar. This condition is known as Insulin Resistance and if left untreated my pancreases would wear out in about 7-10 years giving me type II. Also funny thing you bring up the gall bladder as I had to have mine removed just 2 months after having my son. I will be sure to ask for those tests that you suggested thank you so much. Also I have to tell you; your peanut analogy really gave me a fresh new way at looking at this. Hugs back~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• A low fat vegan diet is now considered to be healthier for type 2 diabetes than the traditional ADA diet. Here is one of many articles on the topic: http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20060726/low-fat-vegan-diet-may-treat-diabetes

You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I'm a type 2 diabetic on metformin/glyburide. It's good that you're watching your carbs. The average American consumes too many starchy foods anyway.
    Healthy carbs can be found in fresh fruits, high fiber cereals, whole grains like barley, and cooked dry beans & lentils. If you eliminate breads, rice, potatoes and pasta from your diet, you'll be on a roll! You can feel full longer if you eat a source of protein at each meal (eggs, cheese, chicken, lean beef) and if you have a high fiber food too. For example: breakfast could be All-Bran cereal topped with blueberries or strawberries with a bit of milk. You have the fiber, healthy carbs, bit of protein (milk) and nutrients. 1/4 c. AllBran will keep me full for up to 4 hours. Also, try a small snack in the morning and afternoon, and maybe before bed. A hard boiled egg, a few whole grain crackers, string cheese, cottage cheese with fruit, apple with peanut butter...
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2009