How can i get my 1 y/o daughter to stop the attitude and stop the hitting??

My husband has taught my daughter(1 year old) to "playfully" slap me, but now she does it all the time. Im frustrated with her but i dont believe in hitting or yelling at babies, what can i do to make her stop??

Kateybug08

Asked by Kateybug08 at 3:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why does your husband think that hitting is playful?

Take her hand and softly touch your face with it and say "gentle" with a nice smile on your face. When she hits, say "no hitting" and give her a baby timeout (hold her immobilized on your lap and count to 20); after the time out, again say "no hitting" and let her go.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I actually held my duaghters hands down until she started crying and not becuase i hurt her. She wanted her way and I wouldn't let her have it. I kept telling her I don't like to be hit and it's wtong to hit, and i knew if I "hit" her back it would make it a game.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• put her in time out, if she won't stay in one place. then put her in her crib so she can't get out && make sure you explain to her why she is getting put in there. "hitting people is bad && it hurts, we don't do that"
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 3:43 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Ignore it. She will forget what your DH taught her within a week or two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• my dd does it all the time, started a few months ago. She is 13 months now. She finally get's nice. I don't think she'd really "get" a time out now. We've been sitting her on the floor right away and telling her no. She often will cry out. When I pick her back up I put my hand on her face of arm, whatever she hit and stroke her saying 'nice'. We did the same for pulling her sister's hair. More often than not now she will put her hand on our face's or hair and say, 'nie'. It's really cute.
    You should talk to dh about getting on board with you. If he's teaching her to hit and you're teaching her to not hit then she's going to get confused. Babies can't tell the difference between play and real hitting.
    As for the attitude, if you find anyway to get ride of it please let me know!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 5:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• As soon as she hits you then put her in a play pen or crib. Anything that is isolated from you and simply state 'no hitting' then leave her there for about a minute or so. Try that a few times. It might work. But no matter what you try, always be consistent.
    Princess02266

Answer by Princess02266 at 6:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I don't think time out is worth anything for a 1 year old, but whenever my 11 month old does anything he shouldn't do, I will stop him and say no, be nice... EVERY time. She will learn eventually, but I'm pretty sure they don't understand time out quite yet.
    cbarlow555

Answer by cbarlow555 at 7:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Time out doesnt work for a 1 year old- they r( too young )to understand that concept it is confusing- I worked @ a pre- school - repition is the key- children learn thro repetion- do it the same way every time u correct her- say in a firm voice but dont scream - no ur hurting Mommy thats not nice- no. Pull her hand away from ur face and hold it , make sure u say the same thing each time- she will learn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My little boy went through the same thing around the same age... I actually would pretend to cry and then he would try to comfort me and I would tell him that it hurt mommy...Now me and my fiance can be playing around and he will smack my hand or something and Phillip will tell his Daddy no..that it hurts mommy...
    phillipsmommy09

Answer by phillipsmommy09 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 1, 2009