Can I breast-feed with hypothyroidism?

I was diagnosed with it a long time ago and have been taking meds for it ever since. I am due with my first in September and really want to breast-feed my baby. I asked my OB if it would be safe or even possible. He said that the pills don't pose a problem and that everyone's body reacts different, although most women are able to breast-feed without complications.
Have you or anyone you known with thyroid problems breast-fed or tried to?
Any stories would help out alot! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am hypo and have nursed my children, first for 18 months when he weaned due to pregnancy and second is still going at 24 months old!! It can most definitely be done. The meds pose no threat to the baby and as long as your levels are in normal range you should be fine. You will need to be tested frequently throughout pregnancy as dosage needs can increase and then get tested 6 weeks and 12 weeks postpartum as dosage needs will likely go back to where they were before pregnancy and possibly lower. During pregnancy I had to double my dose and at 6 weeks PP that dose was too high and we took it back to prepregnacny dose. At 12 weeks PP that was still to high so we went with half and around 13 months I went back up to prepregnancy dose because I was having symptoms again.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Contact the La Leche League; they are really the best source for this type of information

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• id also ask a pedi.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If you are in normal range now with your meds, you really shouldn't be any different from any other mom.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2009