I live in an apartments complex and the kids are always paying outside with no adult supervision, (they are from 4 to 10 ),

I have a 4 years old, and he no way can go outside alone, but what can I do?, he hear them and see them by the window.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• How about YOU take him outside to play. I don't mean to sound rude, but we are in the same situation (we live in Army housing overseas). My daughters are 4 and 8 years old, and when they hear the kids outside playing - I take them outside so I can watch them. A lot of parents feel it's safe here to let their kids go play on their own. But, I am not one of them.

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 4:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree completely with the above poster. It only takes 20 seconds for a stranger to snatch a child. I see unsupervised kids chasing balls into the street every weekend, and cars racing over speedbumps.
    Don't get me started on kids without helmets...

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If there is no parking lot there, I wouldn't worry too much. I mean I would let my kid go and just keep an eye on him.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 6:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i agree YOU take him out to play
    as for the other kids there is NOTHING you can do about other peoples kids
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would remind the kids to be safe next time I saw them and keep an ear and eye open to make sure they weren't getting into trouble but otherwise I would mind my own business.
    My kids play outside all day long together. They are 8, 7, 6 and 3. That is my right as a parent to choose to let my kids have that freedom. They are up and down our block all day long (although they can't be outside without their siblings until they are around 5 1/2...depending on the child). They even walk home from school alone (3 1/2 blocks). I'm glad I live in a part of the city (Chicago) where most parents allow their children similar freedoms so I don't have nosy neighbors reporting us because they don't agree with letting kids be free.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I live in an old millitary complex, and have also lived in an apartment in the city. Both places there where kids (3yrs n' older) running around without a parent in sight. I agree there really isn't much you can do about other peoples kids. When I go outside with my kids, I find myself kind of watching making sure nothing bad is going on with the other kids (kidnaping, etc). But honestly you could really take time out of your day to take your kid outside to play, or even to a near by park. Even 30minutes to an hour is better than nothing.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If hes the younger bro of some of the bigger kids, then okay. I let my 3 yr old outside without me, but he has to be wth my 11 or my 14 yr old. If there are lots of kids playing, then usually thats fine. There is safety in numbers. My 7 yr old just learned how to ride his bike and he has been playing with the boy next door and also two doors down. I let them ride around our neighborhood, because it goes in a small circle, but they have to be together. If these parents are okay wtih it, then let them be. Ten is fine to be outside without mom or dad, especially if they are playing with other kids.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Well, I don't know if this has made national news or not, but in Monroe MI there has been an Amber Alert for a 5 yr old girl abducted from the parking lot of an apartment complex. She had been out with another child riding a scooter when the other girl ran in to tell her mother the girl went off with some man. She had not been found and has been missing about a week and a half. I did not get from your question that you were considering letting your child play alone, what I got was you were keeping him in and wanted to know what to do about the fact that other kids are at risk. I would call protective services and ask if this is legal or is there something they can do. I am sure there is if the children in question are very young. Take yours out to play with you or to a park etc. and you will always know your child is safe.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2009