At whate age is it okay to let your son play outside? cont.

I mean in a closed off community of housing. With the front door open while i clean my house? My son is 13 months old, I know it wont be a while til i can do that, but I was wondering when people started letting there kids roam around outside with other kids. I see really tiny kis out playing by themselves, just wondering???

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 5:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It takes a stranger 20 seconds to snatch a child; yours is WAY to young for you to consider leaving him outside without someone to watch him. Don't base your decision on other people's poor judgement.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• once they are old enough to understand stranger danger and be able to scream, yell kick and fight if someone were to grab them.
    also old enough to understand rules about going in the street etc
    2barnettkids

Answer by 2barnettkids at 6:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Okay, you dont understand where I live. I live in a gated military housing, where the only people alowed on base has tocarry a Military issued ID. Ans I live in Okinawa, a tiny island of Japan. A virtually crime free Counrty. With Military Police driving around every corner ALL the time.

And I also stated above that I KNOW he is far from being old enogh. My question as an estmated age other poeple started letting their kids play outside in the front yard. Thanks
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 6:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• But also like oyu guys said, which is a good point, I guess when he knows the difference in stranger danger, he should be good to go.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 6:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Just b/c they carry a military ID does not automatically make them a "good" guy.

I wouldnt let mine until they were at least 5 or 6, but every child is different.

I would want my child to be able to scream and run away for help, to know not to wander away, before I would even consider it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I let my kids play in our fenced in yard starting at age 5-6, while I watch and listen to them through the windows. I do not let them play outside the fence unless I am out there with them.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• my little boy just turned two in April and he is a very smart little man.  I allow him to go on our front porch and play. I put his sand box and a box of his toys on the porch and leave the door open.  He plays just fine.  He knows that he is not to go off the porch unless me or his daddy are outside with him... Different parents have different opinions though.  For example my father freaks when he sees Phillip playin on the porch.. he said he is to little to do that... But my opionin is that if your baby is old enough to understand the point of stay only in this area and play with your toys.... then its fine... I hope this idea helps you.

phillipsmommy09

Answer by phillipsmommy09 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It depends on your child and where you live. I let my nearly 3 year old play in our backyard with minimal supervision. I live on a quiet street in a very safe city but it will still be several years before I'd let her play in the front yard with no supervision. While times are just as safe now as when I was a child in the early 70's, I'm just not comfortable turning her loose like that. I know that even though she is very good at following rules, she would run after any dog that came by.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2009