Will I qualify for financial aid for college and medicaid if I get married now?

My fiance and I have decided to get married at the court house, but we are wondering if by doing so, will it make it so I won't be able to get financial aid for college? I am almost done with school, and I wanna know if we should wait until I am done, or if it should be ok. Also, I have health care through medicaid for me and my daughter, so I didn't know if we still can use that while married. He can't put me on his insurance until there is an opening in December. So again, we might wait to get married. But just wanted to hear some opinions from people that might know about this. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• A couple of things.
    You will need to check with your college finacial aid office and with medicaid to check your eligibility.
    A marriage is what is known as a life event, and your (new) husband can add you on to his insurance within 30 days of the wedding. If this is not what the benefits administrator at his work is telling him, then he needs to phone the number on his insurance card.
    Congradulation on your new life together!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:23 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yeah, he might be confused about the open enrollment for the insurance. Most places can accept changes to insurance during the year when qualifying events happen, such as marriage or birth/adoption of a child.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:43 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• That does make sense about an event like marriage making us able to add me. I'm going to let him know that, and I'll double check with my school about financial aid too. Thanks ladies for being helpfull!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2009