Would you call the police? What should I do if this happens again??

across the street is what seems to be a bunch of crack-heads. The other day I was in my yard watching my 3 young kids play. The neighbor comes down the road and I throw my hand up (its a southern thing, we wave to our neighbors in a friendly way) She has a car full of people (adults and kids) and she screams out her window "WHAT THE F--- YOU LOOKING AT B---?"

I was pissed off by that! My oldest (10 years old) asked if I was going to call the police. I didn't because I didn't want them coming over here afterwards when I'm not home and messing up my home. Later though, I was out with my kids and some of the other moms brought their kids out to play. So I let my kids join theirs in the cul-de-sac and play while I told them what happened. Apparently everyone on my street has had problems with these people and two of my neighbors have already called the police & DFACS on them. They said I should have called too.

VeronicaLee

Asked by VeronicaLee at 8:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Actually is isn't against the law to cuss in public UNLESS it offends someone then it is. If you tell a cop what the lady said and that it offended you it is then illegal. My husband is a police officer and this is how it works. Say he was in McDonalds eating lunch and he heard a patron say "F- You" then he couldn't arrest them unless he asked the person who it was said to "Did that offend you?" and if that person said "yes" then it would be against the law. Make sense?
    Besides that could also be considered a threat. If you say "f---" it is not a threat but if you put a YOU after it then it is. Even in the wording above it still has a f and a you in the same order. Its a threat. Call the police and tell them you're afraid of them and what they'll do to you and your children if they knew it was you who reported them.
    Anonymous

• Well what are you waiting for? I would call both places too. Theres alot of children in the area and anything can happen at any time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think you should have called the police too...maybe the police would realise everyone's complaining about them and do something good about it this time
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's against the law to yell at someone though, so the police most likely wouldn't have done anything. If the people happen to be speeding you could call though, since there are children around. Maybe the police would at least stop by and talk to them then. That sucks, I'm sorry you have to deal with that :(
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:57 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i would like to say i think yes maybe if u did call the police would maybe look into things because of the complaints about these people but then again they wont do anything just because they were rude and swore. they would just say dont wave next time. its unfortunet not all get along i would give anything to have a nice family neighborhood with other kids around for my kids to play with. some people arnt like that though and dont care. i would ignore them from here on out. turn when u see them coming and if they do something wrong ( other then being rude to u ) i would call. and complaine good luck though i hate rude neighbors..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• "I don't think it's against the law to yell at someone though, so the police most likely wouldn't have done anything."

Yeah, I was thinking sorta the same thing when it happened. But, what nagged me was my kids were out there. I feel like if I was going to do it, I should have done it immediately. But if it happens again, I think I will call.  My kids should have the right to play in their own yard without being harassed by someone that we've never even talked to. They have NO reason to try to pick a fight with me like that. I'm embarrassed by them and I worry if I invite company over this summer, my neighbors will get out in the yard and start fighting, or even worse..... yell at one of my guests like they did me yesterday!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If you're SURE the house is a crack house, CALL! Nothing will improve if the neighbors don't stand up for themselves and the neighborhood. If you are not sure, you can't call just for being rude... Good luck!
    Juniper53098

Answer by Juniper53098 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• ya its not against the law to scream out names....it happened to me.my neighbor flipped me the bird and said some really interesting thing to me in front of my daughter(and im the bad mom)anyway i called the cops and they said you cant do anything unless they go onto your property.you can file a complaint and yes they will have the notice on record that you did call the police...1st admendment hmmm
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I don't see the reasoning in calling the police because someone yelled out the window and cussed at you. Now, if they were constantly harrassing you, it would be a different story. Around here the cops will straight up laugh at you if you call in something like that, because people ALWAYS hollar out the window here.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:39 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• its too late now. if it happens again then call. if they cursed you out.. then im sure there is a law about it. harassment or something? there is a law for just about everything it seems.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2009