When did your child start writing?

I recently had my sons 3 year check up, and the Dr wants me to go to a teaching store and get a plastic thing to help him hold his pencil correctly.
Don't get me wrong, he does draw and try to write some letters, but he holds his pencil wrong, and is not the best at writing.
My aunt ( a preschool teacher) said that she is amazed that they want him to start doing this so soon, that they work on that in preschool.
When did your kids start writing? How did you show them to hold the pencil correctly?

NewMommyin06

Asked by NewMommyin06 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• AT TWO SHE WAS IN DAY CARE THERE SHE ONLY SCIBBLED AT PRE SCHOOL SHE STARTED TO WRITE LETTERS.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Kids do things at their own pace. My daughter was about 3 1/2 when she started writing letters. My son is almost 4 and he has more difficulty. But it takes practice. So practice with him, but don't stress out about it. I certainly wouldn't worry about buying something to help him hold a pencil correctly, you can teach him that and ....practice. Having said that, there were kids in my daughter's kindergarten class who couldn't write (or identify their ABC's) at the beginning of the year and even they have made progress.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree with slw123...
    My son is 4 1/2 and will print certain letters - he can't do his name and isn't even close - It's not the end of the world. Every child does things in their own time.
    I think there is way to much pressure on very young kids 3,4.5 etc.. to do certain things like this and I find it ridiculous!! They are only little for so long.....
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 10:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My 5 year old is a little slow at writing, but she has taught herself to add and subtract already. My 3 year old will look at his name if I've written it somewhere else and he can write it. Each kid is good at different things. Both of my kids are amazing at what they can do, and I haven't panicked yet. They will learn these things when they are ready. Besides that not everyone can have the most perfect handwriting. That's why doctors and lawyers have people who write for them.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My doctor never checked to see how my son was holdiing his pencil this sounds strange to me. I would not be worried about anything. All kids are different and learn at differen times. To teach him the correct way I would make it a point to hold mine correctly and then put it in his hands correctly. He is 4 now and writes a few letters, but not many.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think at 3 a pencile grip will just end up in the mouth vs on the pencile. if you are worried about handwritting check out handwritting without tears this is a newer method of teaching kids to write and the things that the program works on are strange at first but if you look in to it it all makes sense.

one of the biggest things is to get rid of all big grip crayons and penciles and go with regulare sized ones and break crayons in half the shorter crayon or pencile helps the kid learn proper grip much better than a grip would

mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 11:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My daughter is 30 months and holds a pencil properly and can trace and lines and even a couple letters, but of course she still scribbles. I just try to work with her often. She has a twin who is not even close to even holding a pencil right. my oldest daughter who is 7, was writing at about age 4. I don't think 3.5 is too early to start. In fact, I am glad I started before 3.
    deputywife

Answer by deputywife at 8:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2009